GATE 2021: The Graduate Aptitude in Engineering (GATE) is one of the most prestigious entrance examinations in the country. It is conducted annually by the IISc, Bangalore and IITs for the candidates who wish to seek admission in master’s degree program in engineering, technology and architecture or doctoral degree in relevant branches of Science. GATE 2021 will be conducted on 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, and 14th February 2021. Interested candidates can apply for the exam from 12th September 2020 onwards.
Before heading to the application form, candidates should ensure their eligibility status as ineligible candidates will likely be debarred from taking the exam. GATE score is considered by a majority of institutions in the country. Many PSU’s consider the score of GATE exam for recruitment in different departments. The exam will be held in online mode and will cover a total duration of 3 hours.
GATE 2021 answer key is now available. Check here
The application form correction facility for GATE exam is now active.
The last date to apply for GATE 2021 has been extended till 14th Oct 2020 with late fee.
The last date to apply for GATE 2021 has been extended till 8th Oct 2020.
GATE 2021 application form released on 12th September 2020.
GATE 2021 information brochure has been released now.
GATE 2021 is going to be held on 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, and 14th February 2021.
Changes Introduced in GATE 2021
Two new Papers introduced this year
Two new papers ES (Environmental Science and Engineering) and XH (Humanities and Social Sciences) have been introduced this year and hence the total number of papers in 2021 is 27.
Now the fresh eligibility for GATE 2021 is 10+2+2 instead of 10+2+4.
Two Papers Allowed
Previously it was only allowed to appear for only one paper which has increased to maximum 2 papers however the second paper must be from the given set of combination and subject to the availability of infrastructure and date.
IIT Bombay will conduct GATE in 2021-confimed officially.
GATE 2021 Highlights
- Candidates can apply for GATE exam only through online mode. No other mode for filling the application form shall be entertained or permitted by the authority.
- GATE exam will test the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in different UG subjects in engineering/technology/architecture and PG-level subjects in science respectively.
- The exam will be conducted for 24 subjects/papers in computer –based mode.
- Validity of the GATE score is 3 years from the date of announcement of results.
- For availing financial assistance (scholarship/assistanceship), candidates need to secure admission to a program in one of the central government supported institutes. The procedure for admission might vary according to the institutes.
- Direct recruitment to Group A level posts in central government, i.e., senior field officer (TELE), senior research officer (CRYPTO) among other is also carried out on the basis of the GATE score.
- Candidates can only appear for one paper of the GATE exam.
- The photograph, signature, certificate of qualifying degree, category certificate (SC/ST/PwD) and/or Dyslexic certificate as applicable must be uploaded during the online application.
GATE 2021 Important Dates
The official dates for GATE exam are provided below-
|Online application form releasing|
|Last date to submit the online form|
|Deadline for making the change in category, paper and exam city(an additioal fee required)||13th Nov 2020|
|Last date to register (with late fee)|
|Admit card releasing date||8th January 2021|
|Exam date||5, 6, 7, 12, 13, and 14th February 2021|
|Answer key releasing||3rd week of February 2021|
|Result publication||3rd week of March 2021|
|Scorecard releasing date||Last week of March 2021|
Eligibility Criteria of GATE 2021
Candidates must satisfy the eligibility conditions laid down by the authority in order to appear in the exam. The eligibility criteria for taking the GATE exam is as follows-
Nationality: Indian and foreign nationals are eligible to apply for the GATE examination.
Educational qualification as per the qualifying degrees
|Qualifying exam||Qualifying exam/degree||Candidate’s description||Year of qualification (not later than)|
|B.E/B.Tech/B.Pharma||Candidates should have done B.Tech after 10+2 or hold a 3 year bachelor’s degree after B.Sc /Diploma in Engineering/Technology||Completed or appearing||2021|
|B.Arch||Candidates should have done 5 years of B.Arch course||Completed or appearing||2021|
|B.Sc (Research)/B.S||Candidates should possess a bachelor’s degree in science (post-diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Completed or appearing||2021|
|Pharma.D||Candidates should have done 6 years of program including internship or residency training during 6th year||Currently in 4th/5th/ 6th year or completed||2023|
|M.Sc/M.A/MCA or equivalent||A Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Application or equivalent is required||Completed or appearing||2021|
|Integrated M.E/M.Tech or dual degree||Integrated master’s degree or dual degree in engineering/technology||Currently in 4th/5th year or completed||2022|
Note: Candidates who have obtained/are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India:
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and Technology.
- Must have completed or are in the final year of their Post Graduate (Master’s) degree in any relevant subjects in science.
Application form GATE 2021
The application form for GATE exam has been released on the official website from 12th September 2020. Applicants need to register themselves for the exam by providing their basic details such as name, email id and mobile number. After successful registration, they need to login into the portal to fill rest of the application form. Candidates should keep their documents and scanned images handy as they will be required to upload them during the form filling part.
The information provided in the application form should be correct and match the official records of the candidates. Incorrect details or misleading information will lead to the cancellation of the application submitted by the candidates. Candidates however will be given a chance to edit their details through the application correction window. The online form should be submitted with the application fee on or before the due date specified by the authority to avoid rejection of the application.
For exam centers in India
|Category||On or before the due date||During the extended period|
|Female||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1250/-|
|SC/ST/PWD||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1250/-|
|All other candidates||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2000/-|
For exam centers outside India
|Category||On or before the due date||During the extended period|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US $ 50||US $ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US $ 100||US $ 120|
Note: The payment of the stated application fee can be paid online using the credit card, net banking and debit card.
GATE 2021 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for GATE 2021 is as follows-
- Exam mode: Computer-based mode
- Duration: 3 hours
- Medium of instructions: English
- Type of questions: MCQs and Numerical answers type
- Total number of papers: 24 papers
- Total number of questions: 65 questions
- Marking scheme: Varies accordingly
- Negative marking: For question carrying 1 mark, 1/3 marks will be deducted and for those carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks will be deducted. Negative marking not applicable for NAT questions.
The syllabus of GATE exam is based on the UG syllabus of the concerned discipline in which a candidate has earned his/her degree. Given below are some of the key topics (for some disciplines) the candidates must study for the exam-
- General Aptitude: This paper will be common to all the papers and will include English grammar, reading comprehension, sentence correction, word groups, data interpretation, verbal reasoning etc.
- Aerospace Engineering (AE): Engineering mathematics, structures, flight mechanics, space dynamics, aerodynamics, propulsion.
- Chemical Engineering (CH): Engineering mathematics, process calculations and thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and mechanical operations, etc.
- Mechanical Engineering (ME): Engineering mathematics, applied mechanics and design, fluid mechanics and thermal sciences, materials, manufacturing, and industrial engineering, etc.
- Petroleum Engineering (PE): Calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex variables, probability and statistics, numerical methods, petroleum exploration, oil and gas drilling technology, reservoir engineering, petroleum production operations, oil and gas well testing, health safety and environment in petroleum industry, enhanced oil recovery techniques etc.
- Computer Science and Information Technology (CS): Engineering mathematics, digital logic, computer organization and architecture, programming and data structures, algorithms, theory of computation, compiler design, operating system, databases, computer networks etc.
- Candidates can download the admit card of GATE 2021 from the official website using their login ID and password.
- No hall tickets will be sent to the candidates individually or otherwise.
- Applicants need to keep a printout copy of their admit card and preserve it for future purpose.
- Entry to the exam hall will be denied to the candidates who do not possess a valid hall ticket.
- Along with the admit card, candidates also need to carry a valid ID proof (passport, pan card, voter id, Aadhar card, college id, employee id and driving license) to the exam hall.
- The details in the admit card should be thoroughly checked and discrepancies should be reported immediately if found.
- The result of GATE 2021 will most probably be published on the GOAPS portal in the 3rd week of March 2021.
- GATE score will be valid for duration of 3 years from the date of announcement of results.
- Applicants can check their result and download the scorecard by logging into the official web portal of the GOAPS.
- Candidates can apply directly to the institute they in which they seek admission based on the GATE score secured by them.
- Based on the GATE scores, many government and private colleges/universities will organize their own counselling procedure to shortlist the candidates for admission in the relevant master’s program.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ques: Am I eligible for any GATE 2021 paper?
Ans: Candidates should choose the paper that meets the discipline of their qualifying degree. They are also allowed to choose any other GATE paper 2021. However, it is suggested to choose a paper in line with the eligibility requirements of the institutions/organizations in which they are willing to get admission/job.
Ques: Is it possible to use one email address for filling multiple applications?
Ans: No, you can use one email address for filling only one application. You are discouraged to submit multiple applications through different email addresses.
Ques: What if the internet connection/power gets failed during the submission of online application?
Ans: You should re-login at GOAPS website and continue with the application process.
Ques: Tell me the application fee for candidates with foreign nationality?
|Test Centres||On or before the given deadline||During the extended period|
|Centres in India||Rs. 1500/-||Rs.2000/-|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
Ques: My internet banking account gets debited multiple times? How will I get the refund?
Ans: The amount, if deducted multiple times, the same will be refunded to your account automatically. However, it can take a week or more after the completion of the application process.
Ques: My bank gets debited but GOAPS websites say that payment has not been received. What should I do now?
Ans: You should login back to your GOAPS account and check the status of the payment made. If GOAPS has not acknowledged the payment the same will be credited back to your account after the completion of application process. However, it may take a week or more time.
Ques: Should I send a printout of the application form?
Ans: No, the printout is not supposed to be sent to the concerned authority.
Ques: Which IDs are accepted in the application form?
Ans: List of valid IDs for Indian candidates are: Passport, Voter ID, PAN Card, Aadhaar-UID, Employee ID, College ID, and Driving License. If you fall under International category candidates then only valid Passport/Government issued ID/College ID/Employee ID would be treated as the recognized identification.
Ques: I belong to the final year of my qualifying degree programme, which certificate should I upload?
Ans: You need to upload a certificate from Head of the Department/Institute (according to the format prescribed in the information brochure).