Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2023) is one of the premier exams conducted in order to shortlist the candidates for M.Tech admission. Many government and private organizations also consider this exam for the recruitment of engineers. GATE 2023 exam will be conducted jointly by IISc Bangalore and 7 IITs (Delhi, Bombay, Kanpur, Guwahati, Kharagpur, Roorkee, and Madras).
Latest: GATE 2023 application form has been released on 30th August 2022.
IIT Kanpur is the concerned authority who will conduct GATE 2023.
GATE 2023 Important Dates (Tentative)
The official schedule for GATE 2023 is given below. The exact dates have been updated according to its official notification.
|GATE 2023 Important Events||Dates
|GATE 2023 Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||30th August 2022|
|GATE 2023 Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||30th September 2022|
|Extended Closing Date for Submission of (Online) Application (through Website)||7th October 2022|
|GATE 2023 Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City (an additional fee will be applicable)||November 2022|
|Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal (for printing)||3rd January 2023|
|Date of GATE 2023 exam||4th, 5th, 11th, and 12th of February 2023|
GATE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The general eligibility criteria for GATE 2023 are given below:
- All Indian candidates along with the candidates from Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri lanka, Ethiopia, Singapore and UAE are eligible to apply for GATE 2023.
Educational Qualification for GATE Exam 2023
- The candidates must be in final year or must have passed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology.
- The applicants with master degree in science with relevant subjects can also apply
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Examination/ Degree||Who are eligible?||Year of qualifying
not after than
|B.Pharm/ B.E./ B.Tech.||A recognized degree in Engineering/Technology (Four years upon 10+2 or three years upon Diploma/B.Sc in Engineering/Technology)||Already completed or final year students||2023|
|B. Arch.||A recognized 5 years bachelor’s degree in Architecture||Already completed or final year students||2023|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||A recognized bachelor’s degree in Science (4 years after 10+2/Post-diploma)||Already completed or 4th year students||2023|
|Pharm. D. (after 10+2)||Six years course including internship or residency training during sixth year||Already completed or students of 4th/5th/6th year||2026|
|M. Sc./ M.A./MCA or equivalent||A recognized Master’s degree in any stream of Mathematics/Science/Statistics/Computer Application or its equivalent||Already completed or final year students||2023|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. (Post-B.Sc.)||You should have a Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree course in Engineering/Technology of 4 years duration||Already completed or students of 2nd/3rd/4th year||2026|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. or Dual Degree(after Diploma or 10+2)||5 years Integrated Master’s degree course or Dual degree program in Engineering/Technology||Already completed or students of 4th/5th year||2024|
|Int. M.Sc./ Int. B.S.-M.S.||5 years duration integrated B.S.-M.S. course or Integrated M.Sc.||Already completed or final year students||2023|
|Professional Society Examinations*
(which are equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch.)
|Candidates awarded with B.Arch/B.E/B.Tech equivalent tests of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/AICTE/ UPSC (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Finished Section A or equivalent of those professional courses||NA|
- There is no age limit for GATE 2023 exam.
GATE 2023 Application Form
The application form for GATE 2023 will be made available via online mode (through GOAPS website) only. The candidates will be required to provide all the necessary educational, personal and contact details in the application form. The scanned copies signature, photograph, category certificate, certificate of qualifying exam will required to be uploaded in the application form.
It will be mandatory for every candidate to enter the number of any of the following ID proofs: PAN card, Passport, Aadhar, Voter ID, Employee ID, College ID, and driving license.
- GOAPS Registration: Candidates need to register themselves first by providing information like Full Name (according to the degree certificate), a genuine email ID, mobile number and a password. Candidates are encouraged to provide personal email ID and phone number as the concerned authority will communicate to them through this only.
- GOAPS Enrollment ID: Upon successful registration, an email having GOAPS Enrollment ID will be sent to your registered email ID. It will work as a reference ID for all further communication.
- GOAPS Password: When you enroll at GOAPS you’ll be asked to create a password for your account. You need to remember the password along with your GOAPS Enrollment ID for log in. Try to create a strong password for your account. Please do not use your name, date of birth or some other easily guessable password like 12345. Please keep your password secure, safe and confidential.
After the successful registration, candidates need to fill up the form online. We encourage applicants to fill the form by their own. In case, anybody else is filling the form on your behalf then you should ensure the data furnished are correct.
Please keep the following information ready before you start filling the application form:
- Personal information such as your name (as recorded in degree certificate), mobile number, personal ID, parent’s mobile number and parent’s email ID.
- Communication address along with PIN code.
- College name and address along with the PIN code.
- Preference of GATE exam cities.
- GATE paper (subject)
- Photograph of the candidate
- Signature of the candidate
- Eligibility certificate in PDF format.
- SC/ST category certificate, if applicable.
- PwD category certificate, if applicable.
- Dyslexic certificate, if applicable.
- A valid ID (the same needs to be brought at the exam center)
- Credit card/debit card/net banking details for the fee payment.
The application form will not be considered complete without paying the application fee. The application fees for GATE 2023 are as follows:
For Exam Center in India
- SC/ ST/ PwD/ Female Candidates: Rs. 750/-
- All other categories: Rs. 1500/-
For Exam center in (Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, Kathmandu): US $ 50
For Exam center in Dubai or Singapore: US $ 100
Mode of Payment
- The application fee will be paid online by using credit/ debit card or by Net banking.
GATE 2023 Exam Pattern
The details about GATE 2023 exam pattern are as follows:
- Number of Papers: 23 (different for every discipline)
- Mode of Exam: Online
- Type of Questions: Objective type multiple choice Questions and Numericals
- Number of Questions: 65
- Maximum Marks: 100
- Marks per Questions: Some question will carry 1 marks while some questions will be carrying 2 marks
- Negative Marking: 1/3rd mark will be deducted for 1 mark questions and 2/3rd marks will be deducted for 2 mark question. There will be no negative marking for numerical ability type questions.
- Duration of Exam: 3 Hours
The subjects and distribution of marks will depend upon the paper you will attempt in the GATE 2023 exam. However, the basic exam pattern that is common for many papers are given below:
For paper codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XF
|Subject||Percentage of Total Marks|
|General Aptitude||15 %|
|Main Subject of the Paper||70 %|
For paper codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, and XL.
|Subject||Percentage of Total Marks|
|Main Subject of the Paper||85 %|
GATE 2023 Syllabus
As mentioned earlier there are 23 different papers to be held in the GATE 2023 exam. The syllabus will be different for each paper. However, the General Aptitude section will be common in all the papers. The syllabus for General Aptitude is given below, for rest of the subjects you need to study as per your qualifying exam.
Syllabus for General Aptitude (GA)
Verbal Ability: Sentence completion, English grammar, Verbal analogies, instructions, word groups, verbal deduction and critical reasoning
Numerical Ability: Numerical estimation, Numerical computation, numerical reasoning and data interpretation
GATE 2023 Exam Centre
Here are some major highlights of GATE Examination Centre 2023 that the aspirants should know.
- The candidates have to appear for the exam at the examination centre specified in the admit card.
- Applicants opting for Indian examination centre have to provide three preferences of the exam cities.
- In addition to India, the GATE exam will also take place in six other countries as well.
- Candidates from all nationalities will be allowed to select the International exam centre.
- Please note that the applicants opting for international examination centre will get only one choice of exam city.
- The first and second choice of exam cities should belong to the same zone.
GATE 2023 Zonal Centres
For a better administration of the exam, the GATE Exam Centres are divided among the 8 Zonal Centres. These Zonal Centres consist of 7 IITs located at different locations and IISc Bangalore. The details of GATE Zonal Centres 2023 are as follows:
|GATE Zonal Centres||Phone Numbers||Official Websites|
|]Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai – 400076||022-25767068||gate.iitb.ac.in/|
|Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru – 560012||080- 22932392, 080- 23601227||gate.iisc.ac.in/|
|IIT Guwahati, Guwahati – 781039||0361- 2586500||gate.iitg.ac.in/|
|Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi – 110016||011- 26591749, 011- 26596137||gate.iitd.ac.in/|
|Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai – 600036||044- 22578200||gate.iitm.ac.in/|
|IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur – 721302||03222- 282091||gate.iitkgp.ac.in/|
|Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee – 247667||01332- 284531||iitr.ac.in/gate/|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur 208016||0512- 2597412||gate.iitk.ac.in/|
|International GATE, IIT Madras||044- 22578200||gate.iitm.ac.in/|
GATE 2023 Examination Centres
The Zone-wise tentative list of examination cities for the GATE exam is given below:
- IISc, Bangalore
Ananthapuramu, Angamaly, Bagalkot, Ballari (Bellary), Belagavi (Belgaum), Bengaluru, Bidar, Davanagere, Hassan, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Kannur, Kasaragod, Kolar, Kozhikode, Kurnool, Malappuram, Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Palakkad, Payyanur, Port Blair, Shivamogga (Shimoga), Thrissur, Tumakuru, Vatakara
- IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai
Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Anand, Aurangabad, Baramati, Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Gandhinagar, Goa, Jalgaon, Kankavli, Kolhapur, Mehsana, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Rajkot, Ratnagiri, Sangli, Satara, Solapur, Surat, Thane, Vadodara.
- IIT Delhi, HauzKhas, New Delhi
Ajmer, Alwar, Bahadurgarh-Rohtak, Bikaner, Faridabad, Greater NOIDA, Gurugram, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, Karnal, Kota, Mathura, New Delhi, Palwal, Samba, Sikar, Udaipur, Ujjain.
- IIT Guwahati
Agartala, Asansol-Durgapur, Burdwan, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Itanagar, Jorhat, Kalyani, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Shillong, Silchar, Siliguri, Tezpur.
- IIT Kanpur
Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Gorakhpur, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi.
- IIT Kharagpur
Balasore, Berhampur (Odisha), Bhilai, Bhimavaram, Bhubaneswar, Bilaspur (CG), Cuttack, Eluru, Hooghly, Jamshedpur, Kakinada (Surampalem), Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Rajamahendravaram (Rajahmundry), Ranchi, Rourkela, Sambalpur, Tadepalligudem, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram.
- IIT Madras
Alappuzha, Aluva, Attingal, Bapatla, Chengannur, Chennai, Chittoor, Coimbatore, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Ernakulam, Erode-Thiruchengode, Gudur, Guntur, Idukki, Kadapa, Kanjirapally, Kanyakumari, Nagercoil, Karimnagar, Karur, Khammam, Kollam, Kothamangalam, Kottayam, Madurai, Muvattupuzha, Nalgonda, Namakkal, Nedumangad, Nellore, Ongole, Pala, Puducherry (Pondicherry), Punalur, Salem, Thanjavur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thiruvannamalai, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Tuticorin, Vellore, Villupuram, Virudhunagar, Warangal.
- IIT Roorkee
Ambala, Amritsar, Baddi (HP), Bathinda, Bhimtal, Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Haldwani, Hamirpur (HP), Jalandhar, Khanna, Kurukshetra, Ludhiana, Meerut, Mohali, Moradabad, Muzaffarnagar, Noida, Panipat, Pathankot, Patiala, Roorkee, Sangrur, Shimla-Solan, Sonepat, Una, Yamunanagar.
International Exam Centres for GATE 2023
- Apart from the centres in India, the GATE exam is also going to be conducted at the 6 international locations.
- The candidates of any nationality can opt for the International Examination centres.
- The Registration process for candidates opting for exam centres within India and Outside India is same.
- The application fee for the aspirants looking to appear at the international examination centres will be different as given below.
|Examination City||Application Fee||Application Fee in extended Period|
|Addis Ababa||US $ 50||US $ 70|
|Colombo||US $ 50||US $ 70|
|Dhaka||US $ 50||US $ 70|
|Kathmandu||US $ 50||US $ 70|
|Dubai||US $ 100||US $ 120|
|Singapore||US $ 100||US $ 120|
Note: The above-mentioned fee doesn’t include service charge and processing fee.
Instructions for choosing GATE 2023 Exam Centres
Aspirants have to choose three examination cities while filling the application form. Here are some instructions that the candidates should keep in mind at the time of selecting the exam cities.
- The first and second choice of the examination centre city should be in the same zone
- After filling the first two choices, the candidates can select the third city from any zone.
- Applicants should select their nearest city as the first choice. Most probably, you will get the exam centre in the city you will select as your first preference.
- Please note that the GATE authorities reserve the right to add or remove any exam city.
- A candidate will be able to submit the application form only after selecting three exam cities.
How to change GATE 2023 Exam Centres?
The IIT Delhi will give the candidates an opportunity to change the examination centre city selected by them.
- Candidates will be allowed to change the exam centre cities within a limited period of time.
- Authorities will provide a correction window through which the candidates have to change the selected exam cities.
- To request the change in exam centre, the candidates have to pay a certain fee which is expected to be Rs. 400/-
- No changes in the examination centre will be possible after the release of an admit card.
How to prepare for GATE 2023?
There is ample time left in this exam for the candidates to prepare. Here are some tips that candidates may follow in order to clear the GATE 2023 exam.
- Make short notes including all the formulas and important topics, this will help you revise the subjects quickly.
- Don’t just focus on the main subject papers; the general aptitude section is equally important.
- Increase your speed with regular practice it is important that you should be able to go through all the questions in the exam.
- Solve mock test paper and analyze your mistake & try not to repeat them.
- Stay confident and healthy; make sure you sleep well and eat healthy during the course of your preparation.
GATE 2023 Recommended Books
Here are some books that are recommended for GATE 2023 preparation
- GATE Previous Year solutions by Made Easy
- BS Grewal for Mathematics
- RS Agarwal for general aptitude
- Your Qualifying degree’s textbooks.
GATE 2023 Score for Employment
Earlier, several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) shortlisted candidates using GATE score of candidates. A few such names are: Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Indian Oil 3 Corporation Limited (IOCL), Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCI) and Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).
Direct recruitment to Group A level posts in Central Govt. such as Senior Research Officer (Crypto), Senior Field Officer (Tele), and Senior Research Officer (S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India, are done on the basis of GATE score. The official notifications are released through Employment News/National Newspapers/Rozgar Samachar by the concerned authority.
Several other Govt. of India organizations have also started showing their interest towards GATE score for their recruitment purpose.
Keep in Mind: GATE administration is no way responsible for providing employment opportunities to successful candidates. Qualified candidates are suggested to read newspapers and other associated resources for obtaining such information.
GATE 2023 Admit Card
The admit card for GATE exam needs to be downloaded from the GOAPS website only. The authorities will not send admit card by post or by email. The candidates have to carry the print out of downloaded admit card along with one photo identity proof at the exam center. The one photo identity proof should also be in original, photocopies will not be accepted.
GATE 2023 Mock Test for Practice
According to the latest notification, IIT Delhi will conduct GATE in 2023. Candidates who applied for GATE 2023 are suggested to practice mock test paper as released by the authority. The mock tests are released based on ongoing exam pattern and hence massively useful towards scoring exceptionally well in the exam. Besides, it will also give you an idea about your preparation level- regarding your strongest zone and the parts, where you are not good enough. Further, you can work on your weakest zones. See, the questions might be asked from any part of the syllabus. So, try to complete your syllabus without leaving a single chapter if you dreaming MTech.
GATE 2023 Answer Key
IIT Delhi will release the answer key for various papers at its official website. Candidates have limited time to contest against the answer key if they find any sort of discrepancies. Here is the method for contesting answer key, have a look please:
- The expected month for the availability of module to contest answers keys might fall in February 2023.
- A candidate can challenge/contest the answer key of any question upon providing the justification along with making a payment of Rs.500/- for each question. The same can be done by visiting the official website of GOAPS.
- The submitted contest will be considered valid only once the payment is successfully submitted. Payment made against the challenge (once accepted) in non-refundable in nature.
- Please make sure that the question number exactly belongs to the PDF of the question paper uploaded at GATE website. Candidates can also see a preview of the question paper selected at the contest portal.
- Please note if the question number is not properly selected then the challenge is considered void.
- In case you are uploading any supporting documents then make sure that the section name and question number is clearly mentioned over the document.
- For all contests, the decision of GATE committee shall be final and no further concern will be entertained.
GATE 2023 Result
It is expected that the result of GATE 2023 may be declared in March 2023. The candidates have to check the result from the official website only. The GATE score will remain valid for 3 years from the date of its announcement. Soon after the announcement of result, the qualified candidates will be able to download their GATE 2023 scorecards. There is no provision for the issuance of a hard copy of GATE 2023 scorecard.
GATE 2023 Cutoff
Every year we see the variation in GATE cutoff as it depends upon a number of factors including:
- The number of candidates took the exam;
- The complexity level of question paper;
- Seats available;
- The programme, the candidate is willing to get admitted into;
- The category under which candidates are seeking admission;
For example, last year cutoff for GEN (EE) was 39.5. You may see up or down this year- we can’t define it at this time. Please keep visiting the post for all latest updates on upcoming GATE exam cutoff.
GATE 2023 International
Test Center: The test is likely to be held at Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dubai (UAE), Singapore, Kathmandu (Nepal).
- Candidates who have completed or taking final year exam of their 4 years B.E/B.Tech are eligible. Or,
- Candidates who have completed or taking final year exam of their 2 years Master’s degree in any relevant science subject.
Documents for Eligibility
- Candidates who passed the qualifying exam in 2022 or earlier they have to upload course completion certificate/degree certificate/provisional certificate as provided by the institute.
- Candidates studying in the final year of qualifying exam they need to upload a certificate from the Head of the Department / Institute (format will be uploaded).
Candidates need to submit the online application form through GOAPS official website by paying the prescribed application fee. They need to upload signature, photograph and qualifying degree certificate while submitting the online application. They also need to provide ID number of any of passport/college ID/Government issued ID/Employee ID.
Those have opted the international test centres they will be contacted via email only. However, the mobile number may be used for crucial conversation.
Application Fees (For students at International Centres):
|Test centres||On or before last date||During the Additional Period|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu||US$50||US$70|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$100||US$120|
The test will be conducted based on local time:
|City (Country)||Test Time (Forenoon Session)||Test Time Afternoon Session)|
|Singapore||12:00 to 15:00 Hours||17:00 to 20:00 Hours|
|Kathmandu (Nepal)||09:45 to 12:45 Hours||14:45 to 17:45 Hours|
|Dubai (UAE)||08:00 to 11:00 Hours||01:00 to 16:00 Hours|
|Dhaka (Bangladesh)||10:00 to 1:00 Hours||15:00 to 18:00 Hours|
|Colombo (Sri Lanka)||09:30 to 12:30 Hours||14:30 to 17:30 Hours|
|Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)||07:00 to 10:00 Hours||12:00 to 15.00 Hours|