GATE 2019 (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level entrance examination organized for offering admission to M.Tech/ Ph.D. and other Government Scholarships/Assistantships in the domain of engineering and technology. It is administered jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore and seven Zonal IITs i.e. IITs at Delhi, Bombay, Guwahati, Kharagpur, Kanpur, Madras, and Roorkee. Every year, GATE exam is organized for 23 subjects. Through GATE 2019 Scores, the qualified candidates will get admission to various Post-Graduate programs in the top institutes of India such as IIT, IISER, IIS etc. Apart from PG admissions, the GATE score will also be used by many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) to shortlist the candidates for employment. Candidates who want to appear in GATE exam 2019 must submit the duly filled application form on or before the due date.
GATE 2019 Important dates
The important dates against important events are tentative and may be changed if the situation demands. The tentative important dates & the events are as follows-
|Opening date for application process||September 2018|
|Closing date for application process||October 2018|
|Date for the corrections in application forms||October 2018|
|Closing date to place a request to change the examination city||November 2018|
|Availability of admit cards||January 2019|
|Examination date for GATE 2019||February 2019|
|Release of answer key||After few weeks of the exam|
|Declaration of result||March 2019|
|Counseling process will starts from||April 2019|
Eligibility criteria for GATE Exam 2019
The examination authority has decided the eligibility criteria for GATE exam. The applicants are advised to go through it, before applying for the examination. The eligibility criteria for GATE 2019 is as follows-
- For Architecture, the applicants should have 5 years degree in architecture. The applicants appearing in final year are also eligible to apply for GATE 2019.
- For B.Sc/ B.Sc Research, the applicants should have 4 years Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2). The applicants appearing in final year are also eligible to apply for GATE 2019.
- For B.E/ B.Tech/ B.Pharma, the applicants should have completed 4 years B.Tech program in any stream or 3 years B.Tech lateral entry (after completing B.Sc/ Diploma in technology/ engineering). The applicants appearing in final year can also attempt for GATE 2019.
- For M.Sc/ MCA/ M.A or equivalent, the applicants should have completed Masters’ degree in statistics/ Computer Applications Science/ Mathematics or equivalent. The applicants appearing in final year can also apply for GATE 2019.
- For integrated M.E/ M.Tech or Dual degree (after diploma & 10+2), the applicants who are currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or have completed 5 years Integrated Master’s degree or Dual program in Engineering/Technology are eligible to apply. Note that, the year of qualification not later than 2020.
- For Integrated M.E./M.Tech (Post-B.Sc), the candidate should have done 4-year duration Post-B.Sc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/Technology. Candidates appearing in the 2nd/3rd/4th year of qualifying examination can also apply.
- For Integrated M.Sc/ B.S-M.S, the applicants should have completed 5 years integrated B.S/ M.S program. The applicants appearing in final year are also eligible to apply for GATE exam 2019.
- For Professional Society examinations equivalent to B.E/ B.Arch/ B.Tech, the applicants must have completed section A or equivalent programs recognized by UPSC/MHRD/AICTE.
GATE Application form 2019: How to apply?
The application process will start from 1st week of September till last week of October. The applications have to be submitted through online mode. To start with the application process, you have to make use of online facility using GOAPS. First of all, you need to register as “New User”. Once the successful registration has been done, you will get access to GOAPS. Now, you need to login to GOAPS enrollment using User Name & Password.
You will have to enter all the required personal as well as educational details in the GATE details as required on the application form. You also have to upload the scanned images of your photograph, signature and thumb impression. It is advised to cross-check the filled details before you submit the application form. GATE 2019 will be held for 23 disciplines. Candidates are supposed to appear in a paper concerned to the discipline of their qualifying degree. However, they are allowed to choose any one of the GATE PAPER as per their choice. Note that, candidates are permitted to appear in only one of the 23 papers of the GATE. In case of multiple applications from an individual, only the single application will be considered and the remaining will be rejected without any refund of fee.
GATE 2019 Papers and Corresponding Codes
|Architecture and Planning||AR|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
GATE 2019 Application fee
The application fee can be paid either through online (via debit/credit card or net banking) or offline (via challan) mode. The application fee for different categories is as follows-
- The application fee for General/OBC category is Rs. 1500/-.
- The application fee for reserved categories & female applicants is Rs. 750/-.
The applicants can make changes in few details entered in the application forms such as DOB, Category etc. For this, you have to send an Email with a subject “Correction in date (Enrollment Number)” along with documents proof to change the data. The changes can be done for the following details-
- Applicant’s name
- Applicants category
- Date of Birth (DOB)
- Parent/Guardian name
- Have you graduated in the above degree?
- Year of qualifying degree.
GATE Examination pattern 2019
The examination pattern gives you all the important details about the examination & the pattern of the question paper as well. The examination scheme will have the details such as duration of the examination, total marks & the total number of questions, negative marking for incorrect answers etc. The examination pattern for GATE 2019 is as follows-
- There are total 23 papers in GATE 2019 but an applicant can appear only for one paper out of 23 papers.
- The examination will be held in online mode.
- The duration of the examination will be 3 hours.
- There will be total 65 questions of MCQ type and total marks will be 100 in GATE 2019.
- The General Aptitude section will be common in all 23 papers.
- There is a new section (H) named Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences has been added in paper with XE from the year 2018.
- There will be a penalty of 1/3 marks for the questions carrying 1 mark, whereas for the questions carrying 2 marks there will be a penalty of 2/3 marks. However, there is no penalty for various Numerical Answer Type Questions.
GATE 2019 syllabus
In GATE 2019 there are 23 papers and the syllabus for each paper is different. The detailed syllabus for all the papers can be obtained from the official website. In the official website the detailed syllabus for all the papers (AE/ AG/ AR/ BT/ CE/ CH/ CS/ CY/ EC/ EE/ EY/ XE/ CG/ IN/ MA/ ME/ MN/ MT/ PE/ PH/ PI/ TF & XL) will be available in PDF format.
GATE Admit Card 2019
The admit cards can be obtained from the GOAPS website. The admit cards will not be sent through Email or by post. The admit cards will be available from January 2019. The applicants need to bring their admit cards along with photo ID proof at the examination centre, without admit cards an applicant will not be allowed to write the examination.
The answer key will be released within few weeks after completion of GATE 2019. It will be released at the official website by the examination authority. The authority will release separate answer key for each discipline. The applicants can download the answer keys from the website to compare their answers.
GATE 2019 Result
The examination result will be declared on the official website as well. The result will be declared most probably in the month of March 2019. The GATE score card 2019 will be issued to the applicants who will score the cut off marks decided by the examination authority.
The cut off marks of GATE 2019 will decide the applicants’ eligibility to get admission in IITs & IISc. The applicants have to score the cut off marks to qualify the examination. The cut off marks will vary from stream to stream.
GATE Counselling 2019
There will be no common counseling scheduled by IIT to provide admission in PG courses. The applicants have to apply separately for IITs admissions when the notification releases. Whereas, NIT will organize the Centralized counseling for M.Tech/ M.Arch/ M.Plan admissions. The counseling will be completely based on GATE 2019 performance. It is a common counseling scheduled by NIT every year.