IIT JAM Exam Pattern 2022 comprises of the overall structure in which the test papers will be framed. To get familiar with the exam, it is important for the applicants to have a keen look at the IIT JAM Exam Pattern 2022. The exam pattern will address the questions like what will be the marking scene, what will be the duration of the exam, how many sections will it have, etc.
For the applicant’s convenience, we’re providing the extensive details on the IIT JAM Exam Pattern 2022 in this Article so that they can benefit from it and prepare for the exam accordingly. We also encourage the students to take a thorough glance at the syllabus since combining the syllabus with the exam pattern will surely fetch positive results in the examination.
IIT JAM Exam Pattern 2022 – Highlights
Applicants are recommended to skim through the important features of the exam pattern as stated below-
- The exam will be conducted in seven (7) subjects, but students will only need to appear for either one or two test papers from the seven subjects.
- Subjects: Applicant can choose one or two subjects from the list given below –
Biological Sciences (BL)
Mathematical Statistics (MS)
- Exam Type: Computer Based Test (CBT)
- Duration of the Exam: The duration of the exam is of Three (3) Hours
- Medium: English Medium only.
- Total Questions: There will be 60 questions asked in the test.
- Total Marks: The paper will carry overall 100 marks.
- Marking Scheme:
For section A-
1/3rd marks will be deducted for each wrong answer of question carrying 1 mark.
2/3rd marks will be deducted for the wrong response of questions carrying 2 marks.
However, there will be no negative/partial marking for section B and section C respectively.
Question Paper Pattern
|Sections||No. of Questions||Type of Questions||Total Marks|
|A||30||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||50|
|B||10||Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)||20|
|C||20||Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||30|
The expected schedule for IIT JAM 2022 is:
|Session||Time||Test Papers and Codes|
|I||9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.||Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG) and Mathematical Statistics (MS)|
|II||2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.||Biological Sciences (BL), Mathematics (MA) and Physics (PH)|
- There will be a provision of using an online virtual calculator. Hence, candidates need not bring the calculator with them in the examination hall.
- Applicants will be provided a scribble pad for rough work.
- Use of any electronic gadget or stationery items (except pen/pencil) such as Mobile phone, pager, notebook, notes, charts, etc is prohibited in the exam.
Syllabus at a glance
Given below is the brief syllabus for IIT JAM Exam for the applicant’s quick reference. For in-depth syllabus details, applicants are advised to go through the page dedicated to it.
Biological Sciences (BL): Molecular Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, General Biology, Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology, Mathematical Sciences.
- Physics (10+2 level)
- Chemistry (10+2+3 level)
- Mathematics (10+2 level)
- Biology (10+2+3 level)
Physics (PH): Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics, and Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics.
Chemistry (CY): Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry
Mathematics (MA): Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of One Real Variable, Functions of Two or Three Real Variables, Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, and Real Analysis.
Mathematical Statistics (MS): Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Limit Theorems, Estimation and Testing of Hypotheses.
Geology (GG): The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Paleontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology