IIT JAM is conducted annually for admission into M.Sc. (Two Years), Joint M.Sc. – Ph.D., M.Sc. – Ph.D. Dual Degree, and other Post-Bachelor Degree Programmes offered by various IITs. IITs are known for imparting high-quality education and are considered one of the most prestigious institutes in the country.
IIT JAM 2024 exam will be conducted in online mode. Only eligible candidates can appear for the entrance exam. Admission to these mentioned programmes will be based on the merit obtained by the candidate in the entrance exam. Candidates can go through the details given in the article to get the complete idea of the IIT JAM 2024 entrance examination.
Admission Highlights – IIT JAM 2024
- Candidates may avail the application form from August 2023.
- The required application fee will be only accepted through online payment mode. No Challan payment will be accepted.
- Candidates need not send the hard copy of the application form to the organizing institute.
- Candidates will go through the biometric system of verification for IIT JAM exam.
- Acceptance or Rejection of seat by a candidate will be only done via online mode through official portal.
- Candidates must produce the scorecard at the time of reporting to the concerned institute for admission.
- The seat booking fee can be paid only through online mode.
- Candidate must possess a valid Email ID and phone number for further future communications.
- Candidate can apply for admission after clearing the entrance exam by filling the admission form available on the official website.
IIT JAM 2024 Important Exam Dates
|Online Application Form availability||August 2023 (tentative)|
|Last Date to submit online application form||To be updated|
|Admit Card announcement||To be updated|
|Mock test to be available from||To be updated|
|Date of Examination||To be updated|
|Response of candidates||To be updated|
|Answer key to be available from||To be updated|
|Result announcement||To be updated|
|Date of result and merit list||To be updated|
|Score card to be released||To be updated|
|Submission of Application Form for Admission||To be updated|
|Last Date for receipt of request for change in category||To be updated|
|First Admission List announcement||To be updated|
IIT JAM 2024 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates need to qualify the eligibility criteria in order to be eligible for admission into the programs mentioned above. They can go through the given information for quick reference –
Nationality: Indian and foreign national candidates are eligible to apply for IIT JAM 2024. However, the foreign nationals will need to satisfy the rules and regulations of the Admitting Institute(s) pertaining to foreign students.
- Candidates must have completed bachelor’s degree in any discipline are eligible to apply.
- As per the new eligibility criteria- Candidates need to be JUST Pass in the qualifying exam. There is no minimum percentage or CGPA/CPI to be scored in the qualifying exam.
- Candidates appearing in the final exam of their bachelor’s degree are also eligible.
Note: For detailed qualification as per programme and institutes, candidates are recommended to refer to the official website.
IIT JAM 2024 Application Form
Candidates can apply for the IIT JAM 2024 entrance exam by filling the application form via online mode. The application form is most likely to be available from August 2023. Candidates can fill the form through JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS). They will be required to register for the exam using a valid Email ID and phone number. After that, they can fill the particulars asked in the form. Candidates will also be asked to upload scanned images of Photograph and Signature respectively. In order to submit the application successfully, candidates will need to pay the below-mentioned fee via online mode.
|One Test Paper||Two Test Papers|
|Female candidates/ SC/ ST/ PwD||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1050/-|
|Others||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2100/-|
- The fee once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
- Candidates can pay the mentioned fee through online mode only (Debit card/ Credit card/ Net Banking/E-Wallet).
IIT JAM Examination will be conducted in seven subjects: Biological Sciences (BL), Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG),Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS) and Physics (PH). However, candidates will need to appear in either one or two test papers. Please find the quick overview of exam pattern here:
- Exam Type: Computer Based Test (CBT)
- Duration of the Exam: Three (3) Hours
- Medium: English Only
- Total Questions: 60 questions
- Total Marks: 100 marks
- Marking scheme:
For section A-
1/3rd marks will be deducted for each wrong answer of question carrying 1 mark
2/3rd marks will be deducted for wrong response of question carrying 2 marks.
However, there will be no negative/partial marking for section B and section C respectively.
|Sections||No. of Questions||Type of Questions||Total Marks|
|A||30||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||50|
|B||10||Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)||20|
|C||20||Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||30|
Syllabus for IIT JAM 2024
You can get complete idea about IIT JAM syllabus here:
Biological Sciences (BL): Basics of Biochemistry, General Biology, Molecular Biology, Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology and Mathematical Sciences.
- Biology (10+2+3 level)
- Chemistry (10+2+3 level)
- Mathematics (10+2 level)
- Physics (10+2 level)
Chemistry (CY): Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry
Geology (GG): The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Paleontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology
Mathematics (MA): Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of One Real Variable, Functions of Two or Three Real Variables, Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra and Real Analysis.
Mathematical Statistics (MS): Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Limit Theorems, Estimation and Testing of Hypotheses.
Physics (PH): Mathematical Methods, Mechanics and General Properties of Matter, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Modern Physics and Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics.
Candidates will be able to download their respective admit card for IIT JAM 2024 from the JOAPS portal. Here candidates must note that admit card will not be sent through Email/Post. Candidates should check the entries in the admit card and in case of discrepancy, they should inform the organizing authorities immediately. Candidate must keep a printout of the admit card to avoid mishap. The admit card should be kept in a safe place to prevent it from getting misplaced.
Result & Scorecard
Candidates can check their result of IIT JAM 2024 from the official website. The result will be announced in form of merit list. A separate merit list will be prepared for each category. The merit list will be prepared on the basis of All India Rank obtained by the candidates in each test paper. Those who made it to the merit list will be eligible to apply for admission in their respective programmes.