Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) will release the official notification for combined medical services examination 2023 on 19th April 2023. The candidates looking to apply for UPSC CMS 2023 should possess an MBBS degree. The selected candidates will be recruited for the post of Assistant Medical Officer, general duty medical officers, etc. in different ministries and departments of the central government. The application form for this exam will be made available in online mode only. It is notified that the application process for UPSC CMS 2023 will begin on 19th April 2023. Aspirants must check the eligibility criteria carefully before applying.
UPSC CMS 2023 application form is to be available from 19th April 2023.
UPSC CMS 2023
- To get selected, the candidates have to clear an Interview/ personality test after the written exam.
- The written test will have two papers i.e. Paper – I and Paper-II. Both the papers of CMSE will be of MBBS standard.
- The board will not release any printed offline application form for UPSC CMS 2023.
- Candidates must be sure that they match with the eligibility norms before initiating the application process.
- The official notification will release on 19th April 2023 and the exam will take place on 16th July 2023.
UPSC CMS 2023 Important Dates
|Release of official notification from UPSC||19th April 2023|
|Starting of online application form submission||19th April 2023|
|Last date for submitting the application form||9th May 2023|
|Releasing of Admit Card||—|
|Date of Examination||16th July 2023|
|Declaration of result||—|
UPSC CMS Eligibility Criteria 2023
All the candidates must ensure that they fulfill the eligibility criteria listed below.
Applicants from the following nationalities are eligible to apply.
- A citizen of India
- A subject of Bhutan
- Subjects of Nepal
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January 1962 with an intention to settle here permanently.
- A person of Indian origin migrated to India to settle here permanently from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or from Vietnam.
- The age of a candidate should not be more than 32 years as on 1st August 2023.
- It means the candidates born before 2nd August 1991 are not eligible. However, candidates from reserved categories will get relaxation in the upper age limit as shown below.
- Scheduled Caste or a Scheduled Tribe: 5 Years
- Other backward classes: 3 Years
- Candidates domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from the 1st January 1980 to the 31st December 1989: 5 years
- Defense Services personnel disabled in operations: 3 years
- An applicant should have passed all the written and practical parts of the final year MBBS examination.
- Provisional admission will also be provided to such candidates who will appear of the final year examination in the year 2023.
UPSC CMS Application Form 2023
Those aspirants who fulfill the eligibility criteria discussed above should go through the following instructions in order to apply conveniently.
- To start the application process, the candidates have to visit the official website i.e. https://upsconline.nic.in.
- On the official website, aspirants have to register by providing some of their basic educational and personal details.
- Once registered, you may fill all the required details in the main application form.
- Apart from the mandatory details, you also need to upload the scanned images of your photograph, signature and photo ID proof.
- After submitting the form, you may pay the necessary application fee either in online or offline mode.
- Do take a printout of the submitted application form along with the fee receipt for the future requirement.
- The UPSC CMS Application Fee 2023 is as follows.
- Female/ SC/ ST/ PwBD candidates: Nil (Exempted from the application fee)
- All other candidates: Rs. 200/-
Mode of Payment
- Aspiring candidates will get the facility to pay the application fee in both online and offline mode.
- Online Fee Payment: Using the net banking facility of State Bank of India or by using Visa/Master/RuPay Credit/Debit Card or by using Internet Banking of SBI.
- Offline Fee Payment: To pay the fee in offline mode, the candidates may deposit the money in any Branch of SBI by cash. Applicants opting for this mode required to carry the system generated Pay-in slip at the fee counter of SBI Branch.
UPSC CMS 2023 Exam Pattern
UPSC CMS 2023 examination consists of two stages i.e. computer-based test and personality test
Exam Pattern of Computer Based Test
- Examination Mode: Online exam (Computer-based test)
- Number of paper: 2 (250 marks for each paper)
- Number of Question: 240 (120 questions in each paper)
- Type of questions: Objective type MCQs
- Duration of exam: Total 4 hours (each paper will be of 2 hours)
- Maximum marks: 500 marks
- Negative Marking: 1/3rd of the marks assigned to a question will be deducted in case of an incorrect answer
- Tentative Examination Center: Agartala, Ahmedabad, Aizwal, Allahabad, Bangalore, Bareilly, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Gangtok, Panaji (Goa), Itanagar, Jaipur, Jammu, Jorhat, Kochi, Kohima, Srinagar, Cuttack, Kolkata, Thiruvananthapuram, Delhi, Lucknow, Tirupati, Delhi, Lucknow, Tirupati, Dehradun, Dharwad, Hyderabad, Imphal, Madurai, Udaipur, Nagpur, Mumbai, Vishakhapatnam, Dispur, Patna, Port Blair, Raipur, Ranchi, Sambalpur, Shillong, Shimla
|Paper – 1|
|Subject||Number of Questions|
|General Medicine||96 questions|
|Paper – 2|
|Gynaecology & Obstetrics||40 questions|
|Preventive & Social Medicine||40 questions|
As you can see in the examination pattern the computer-based test will have two papers having a different syllabus. The general topics included in both the papers are as follows.
Paper I – General Medicine and Paediatrics
- General Medicine – Cardiology, Respiratory diseases, Gastro-intestinal, Genito-Urinary, Neurology, Hematology, Endocrinology, Metabolic disorders, Infections/Communicable Diseases, Nutrition/Growth, Diseases of the skin (Dermatology), Musculoskelatal System, etc.
- Paediatrics – Common childhood emergencies, National programmes related to child health, recognizing children with special needs and management, Immunization in children, Birth defects and counseling including autism, Accidents, and poisonings in children, Normal developmental milestones, basic newborn care.
Paper-II – Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics
- Surgery – General Surgery, Urological Surgery, Neuro Surgery, Thoracic surgery, Otorhinolaryngology E.N.T., Traumatology, Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedic surgery, etc.
- Family Planning
- Preventive Social and Community Medicine, etc.
Interview/ Personality Test
- The UPSC CMS 2023 personality test will be of 100 marks.
- Applicants who will clear the written test will be called for the interview/ personality test.
- Please note that the interview will serve as the supplement to the written test.
- The selection panel will try to judge the following skills on the aspirants.
- The ability for social cohesion
- Initiative and capability for leadership
- Integrity of character
- Balance of Judgment and alertness of mind
- Critical powers of assimilation
- Intellectual curiosity
UPSC CMS Admit Card 2023
- The board will publish the admit cards for the exam 3 weeks prior to the examination date.
- Please note that the admit card will get released in online mode only through the official website of the UPSC.
- Remember, the board will not send an admit card by post to any of the candidate.
- The information such as examination date, timing and venue will be mentioned on the admit card.
- It is mandatory to carry the hard copy of an admit card along with a photo identity proof at the time of exam.
- No candidates will be allowed to take the exam without having the required documents.
- After conducting the exam, the commission will upload results on the official website.
- Candidates will be able to check the result by entering their roll number, date of birth, etc.
- Please note that the UPSC CMS 2023 scorecard will not be sent to any candidate by post or any other offline medium.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for the interview and document verification process.
Frequently Asked Question
Question – 1: What documents are required at the time of the exam along with an admit card?
Answer: You need to carry the same document (Photo ID proof) that you will upload in the application form. You may upload anyone of the following documents and carry the same to the examination center- Aadhaar Card/ Voter Card/ PAN Card/ Passport/ Driving License/ Any other Photo ID Card issued by the State/ Central Government
Question – 2: Is completing the rotating internship compulsory in order to appear for the exam?
Answer: The completion of a rotating internship is not compulsory to apply for the exam. However, you must complete it before the appointment.
Question 3: Can I request for a change in the examination center?
Answer: No, the examination center once allotted cannot be changed.
Question 4: Due to some reason I have submitted two applications. Which of the application will be accepted by the UPSC?
Answer: The application form with higher RID (Registration ID) complete in all respects like the applicant’s details, examination center, photograph, signature, fee etc. will be accepted.