UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024 will be conducted to shortlist the candidates for different reputable services and posts. For selection, the exams will be conducted in two stages- preliminary round followed by main exam and interview. Interested and eligible candidates will be able to apply for the exams in online mode. The application form for the preliminary exam will release on 1st February 2024. Those who clear the preliminary exam will have to submit a DAF to appear for the main exam. Only the candidates clearing all the rounds of the selection process will be considered for final recruitment.
News: UPSC will release Civil services application form on 14th February 2024.
UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024
- In case the candidates submit multiple applications, the application submitted last will be considered.
- No request for withdrawal of candidature after submission of application will be entertained under any circumstances.
- The application fee once submitted will neither be refunded nor held in reserve for any other exam.
- An attempt at a preliminary examination shall be deemed to be an attempt at the Civil Services Examination.
- Mere appearance in any one of the preliminary exam paper will also be counted as an attempt at Civil Services Examination.
- Candidates already serving in IAS and IFS services are not eligible to apply for UPSC Civil Services.
UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024 Important Dates
The official dates related to UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024 are given below:
|Online application form release date||14th February 2024|
|Last date to submit the application form||5th March 2024|
|Issue of admit card for preliminary exam||To be announced|
|Preliminary exam date||26th May 2024|
|Commencement of online DAF (Detailed Application Form) submission||To be announced|
|Last date to submit the DAF||To be announced|
|Issue of admit card for main exam||To be announced|
|Main exam date||20th September 2024|
|Announcement of result||To be announced|
|Issue of admit card/ e-summon letters for interview||To be announced|
|Interview date||To be announced|
UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024 Eligibility Criteria
The following eligibility criteria have been laid down for UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024:
|Nationality||A candidate must be either a citizen of India, a subject of Nepal or Bhutan, or a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling or a person of Indian origin who migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling.|
|Age criteria||The minimum and maximum age of the candidates should be 21 and 32 years respectively as on 1st August 2024.|
|Qualification||A bachelor’s degree from a recognized university is required. Those in the final year of their bachelor programme or whose results are awaited can also apply.|
|Number of attempts||A maximum of 6 attempts (9 for OBC/ PWD and unlimited for SC/ ST candidates) is permissible for the exams.|
|Physical standards||Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Civil Services Examination.|
Relaxation in upper age
Relaxation in upper age will be given as per the following rules:
- 5 years for SC/ ST candidates, ex-servicemen including ECOs/SSCOs who have rendered at least five years Military Service and are released on completion of assignment, on account of physical disability attributable to Military Service or on invalidment
- 3 years for OBC candidates, Defence Services Personnel, disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area and released as a consequence thereof
- 5 years for ECOs/ SSCOs who have completed an initial period of assignment of five years of Military Service as on 1st August 2020 and whose assignment has been extended beyond five years and in whose case the Ministry of Defence issues a certificate that they can apply for civil employment and will be released on three months’ notice
- 10 years for physically disabled candidates.
Civil Services 2024 Application Form
The applicants are required to apply online for UPSC Civil Service preliminary exam by visiting the official website upsconline.nic.in. Candidates will be required to complete the online application form containing two stages i.e. Part I and Part II.
- In the application form, the candidates will be required to provide their basic personal and academic details.
- Choice for the exam center must also be provided at the time of filling the application form.
- Scanned copies of candidates’ photograph and signature must also be uploaded in the application form.
- After providing all the details, the application form can then be submitted along with the prescribed application fee.
- A copy of the duly submitted application form should be taken and kept safe for future reference.
- The application fee will be Rs. 100/- except for female/ SC/ ST/ PWD candidates who are exempted from payment of fee.
- Payment of application fee can be done by remitting the money in any Branch of State Bank of India or by using debit card/ credit card or SBI net banking.
Detailed Application Form (DAF)
Candidates who are shortlisted for the main exam will have to fill and submit a DAF. In the DAF, the candidates will have to provide basic details, upload copies of different important documents, as required. The candidates must also indicate their choices for the different services in order of preference in the DAF. The DAF will also comprise of two stages, i.e. DAF I and DAF II. Candidates admitted to the main examination will be required to pay a further fee of Rs. 200/-.
Civil Service Exam Pattern 2024
Check below the basic pattern for UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024:
- Mode of exam: Pen-and-paper based
- Medium of test: English & Hindi
- Number of papers: 2
- Exam duration: 2 hours (each paper)
- Type of questions: Objective type
- Total marks: 200 (each paper)
- Negative marking: For every wrong answer, one-third of the assigned marks will be deducted
|Paper I||200||2 hours|
|Paper II||200||2 hours|
- Mode of exam: Pen-and-paper based
- Medium of test: English & Hindi (other than the literature of language papers)
- Exam duration: 3 hours (each paper)
- Type of questions: Descriptive type
|Paper A||Any Indian language as opted by the candidate||300|
|Papers to be counted for merit|
|Paper II||General Studies I||250|
|Paper III||General Studies II||250|
|Paper IV||General Studies III||250|
|Paper V||General Studies IV||250|
|Paper VI||Optional Subject – Paper 1||250|
|Paper VII||Optional Subject – Paper 2||250|
List of optional subjects
|Agriculture||Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science||Anthropology||Botany|
|Chemistry||Civil Engineering||Commerce and Accountancy||Economics|
|Medical Science||Philosophy||Physics||Political Science and International Relations|
UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024 Syllabus
The syllabi for both preliminary and main exam are given below:
- Paper I: Current Events, History of India, Indian and World Geography, Indian Polity and Governance, Economic and Social Development, General Science, etc
- Paper II: Comprehension, Interpersonal Skills, Logical Reasoning & Analytical Ability, Decision Making & Problem Solving, General Mental Ability, Basic Numeracy
- Essay: Essay on multiple topics will be given
- General Studies I: Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society
- General Studies II: Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations
- General Studies III: Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management
- General Studies IV: Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024 Admit Card
- The successfully registered candidates will be issued their admit card around three weeks before the exam.
- Candidates will be able to download their admit card from the UPSC official website www.upsc.gov.in.
- No candidate will be allowed to take the examination in absence of a valid admit card.
- If case of non-receipt of the admit card, the candidates should at once contact the Commission.
- Similarly, any discrepancies or errors in the admit card must also be communicated to the Commission immediately.
UPSC Civil Service Exams 2024 Result
- Result of the preliminary exam will be declared and released on the official website of UPSC.
- Candidates who clear the preliminary exam will be allowed to appear for main exam and personal interview.
- A merit list for those who clear the main exam as well will be prepared.
- Selection process will then be conducted according to the names of the candidates in the merit list and the preference provided by them.