SSC Stenographer 2023: The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) conducts the recruitment exam for the posts of Stenographer Grade “C”, and Stenographer Grade “D” every year. Selected candidates are posted in various Ministries/ Departments/ Organizations in the Government of India. The candidates looking to apply for SSC Stenographer 2023 must have the skill of stenography either in Hindi or English language. The application form will be made available in online mode only. Candidates will be shortlisted after a computer-based test followed by a skill test in stenography.
SSC Stenographer 2023
- Please note that the posts of Stenographers are not for the Hearing Impaired persons.
- Female candidates are not eligible for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’ in the Border Roads Organization (BRO).
- Aspirants may take the skill test either in Hindi or English. The appointed candidates have to work on probation for some time. During this probation period, they need to learn stenography in both Hindi and English languages.
- There is no application fee for the women, SC/ST and PwD candidates.
- The authorities will accept application form in online mode only. No application form will be released in offline mode.
SSC Stenographer 2023 Schedule
|Beginning of online application form submission||3rd week of September 2023|
|Last date for the receipt of application||3rd week of October 2023|
|Last date to pay the application fee||3rd week of October 2023|
|Final date for the generation of challan||3rd week of October 2023|
|Last date for the application fee payment offline via bank challan||4th week of October 2023|
|Date of computer-based examination||1st and 2nd week of May 2022|
|Declaration of result||3rd week of May 2023|
SSC Stenographer 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Aspiring candidates should fulfill the eligibility criteria mentioned below.
- Stenographer Grade “C”: 18 years to 30 years as on 1st October 2023
- Stenographer Grade “D”: 18 years to 27 years as on 1st October 2023
- Candidates from the reserved categories will get relaxation as per rules.
- SC/ ST: 5 years
- OBC: 3 years
- PwD (General): 10 years
- PwD (OBC): 13 years
- PwD (SC/ ST): 15 years
- Ex-Servicemen (ESM): 03 years after deduction of the military service rendered from the actual age as on closing date of receipt of online application.
- Candidates who had ordinarily been domiciled in the State of Jammu & Kashmir during the period from 1st January 1980 to 31st December 1989: 5 years
- Defence Personnel disabled in operation: 3 years
- Defence Personnel disabled in operation (SC/ST): 8 years
- The candidate must have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam from a recognized board.
- Please note that the aspirant must acquire the essential qualification as on 1st January 2022.
SSC Stenographer 2023 Application Form
The candidates fulfilling the eligibility criteria may go through the instructions below to apply for the SSC Stenographer 2023.
- To start the application process, you have to visit the official website of the commission.
- On the official website, you need to register by providing some of your basic personal and educational details.
- After registration, you may access the main application form and fill the rest of the details.
- Please note that you must provide authentic details only because the authorities will verify the documents later on.
- In addition to the details, applicants also need to upload their passport size photograph size along with a signature.
- After submitting the form, the candidates have to pay the required application fee online or via bank challan.
- Keep a print out of the submitted application form and fee receipt for your future reference.
The application fees applicable to the candidates of different categories are as follows.
- Women/ SC/ ST/ PwD/ Ex-Servicemen: Nil
- For the rest of the candidates: Rs. 100/-
Mode of payment
- Aspirants can pay the application fee online by using BHIM UPI, Net Banking or by using Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, RuPay Credit or Debit card.
- Alternatively, you may pay the fee in cash using a challan at any branch of SBI.
SSC Stenographer 2023 Admit Card
- Applicants will be able to download an admit card 3 to 7 days prior to the examination date.
- To download the SSC Stenographer 2023 admit card, the candidates have to visit the regional website of the SSC.
- The information like the examination center address, date, and timing of the exam, etc. will be printed on the admit card.
- No candidate will be allowed to enter the examination center without having an admit card.
- Apart from the admit card, the candidates also need to carry at least two passport size recent colour photographs, Original valid Photo-ID proof at the examination center.
SSC Stenographer 2023 Exam Pattern
The general pattern of the SSC Stenographer exam 2023 is given below.
- Mode of Examination: Online computer-based exam
- Type of Questions: Objective Type Multiple Choice only.
- Number of Questions: 200
- Duration of Exam: 2 hours
- Marking Scheme: Each question will carry 1 mark
- Negative Marking: 0.25 will be deducted for every incorrect answer
- Maximum Marks: 200
|Subjects||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||50||50|
|English Language and Comprehension||100||100|
|Total||200 Questions||200 Marks|
The general subject-wise SSC Stenographer Syllabus 2023 is as follows.
- General Intelligence & Reasoning: analogies, similarities and differences, space visualization, problem-solving, analysis, judgment, decision making, visual memory, discriminating observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning, verbal and figure classification, arithmetical number series, non-verbal series, etc.
- General Awareness: Sports, History, Culture, Geography, Economic scene, General Polity including Indian Constitution, and Scientific Research, etc.
- English Language and Comprehension: vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, synonyms, antonyms and its correct usage, etc.
SSC Stenographer 2023 Skill Test
- Candidates who clear the computer-based test will be called for the skill test.
- A dictation to the candidates will be given for 10 minutes in Hindi or English at 100 words per minute for grade “C” post and 80 words per minute for grade “D” post.
- The matter will have to be transcribed on a computer in a given period of time as shown in the table below.
|Post||Language of Skill Test||Time Duration (in minutes)|
|Stenographer Grade “D”||English||50 minutes|
|Stenographer Grade “D”||Hindi||65 minutes|
|Stenographer Grade “C”||English||40 minutes|
|Stenographer Grade “C”||Hindi||55 minutes|
SSC Stenographer 2023 Result
- Before the result declaration, SSC will also release the answer keys in online mode.
- The authorities will then announce the result of each of the selection process through its official website.
- Candidates will be able to check their result by using their roll number/ registration numbers.
- The selection of candidates will be based on the merit and preferences filled by the candidates at the time of application form submission.
- Please note that the seats will be allotted only after the verification of documents.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: I can’t find my Admit card on the official website. What should I do?
Answer: You must contact the concerned Regional/ Sub-Regional Office of the Commission with proof of having submitted the application.
Question – 2: What documents are accepted as the photo-id proof at the time of the exam?
Answer: You may carry Aadhaar Card/ Printout of E-Aadhaar, Voter’s ID Card, Driving License, PAN Card, Passport, School/ College ID Card, Employer ID Card (Govt./ PSU/ Private), Any other photo-bearing ID Card issued by the Central/ State Government.
Question – 3: I will appear for the class 12th exam in the year 2023. Can I apply for this post?
Answer: Yes, you can apply because the candidates are required to acquire the essential qualification as on 01.01.2022.
Question – 4: Do I need to learn stenography in both Hindi and English languages?
Answer: You may apply if you know the stenography either in English or Hindi language. However, you need to learn this skill in both languages after appointment during the probation period.