The National University of Singapore (NUS) offers scholarship to the deserving graduate students who wish to pursue some research work leading to a higher degree at the University. This NUS Research Scholarship consists of a monthly stipend plus a tuition fee subsidy. Incoming graduate students hoping to get enrolled in the PhD and master’s degree programme can apply for this scholarship given that they fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria laid by the university. Candidates can find the important details related to the NUS Research Scholarship 2023-2024 from this article.
A monthly stipend will be given to the candidates who qualify for this scholarship along with the tuition fee. The amount of the stipend will be as follows:
|For PhD candidates*||For Master’s candidates|
|Singapore citizen||S$ 2700||S$ 2500|
|Singapore permanent resident||S$ 2200||S$ 1500|
|International student||S$ 2000||S$ 1500|
* Scholars in a PhD programme may be eligible for an additional stipend of up to $500 per month upon passing the PhD Qualifying Examination (QE).
NUS Research Scholarship Award Period 2023
The scholarship is tenable for one year in the first instance and thereafter may be subject to the satisfactory progress of the scholar. Further renewal of the scholarship amount for each semester will be done at the University’s discretion. The maximum period of the scholarship will be 2 years for master’s candidates and 4 years for PhD candidates, as determined by the relevant faculty or school in each case.
Note: Not all faculties or schools offer scholarships for Master’s by Research programmes. Please check with the respective faculty or school.
NUS Research Scholarship 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The scholarship is open to candidates who meet the eligibility criteria mentioned below:
- Candidate should have graduated with an undergraduate degree with at least second class honors (upper division)/ honors (distinction) or equivalent.
- He/ she should have been offered admission to/ or already admitted to a full-time graduate research programme at NUS.
- The applicant must be eligible for MOE Subsidy.
Eligibility for MOE Subsidy
Candidates fulfilling the criteria given below will be eligible for the MOE subsidy:
- Students who already hold a higher degree qualification and wish to pursue a second graduate programme of the same or lower level will be eligible for the subsidy provided the fees for their first higher degree qualification attained were not subsidized by the Singapore government or sponsored by a Singapore government agency.
- Students who did not complete an earlier graduate programme and are transferred or readmitted to a programme at the same level within NUS or across Autonomous Universities will be eligible.
NUS Research Scholarship 2023 Application Procedure
Students can send their interest for the scholarship by submitting their application for admission. Candidates will be selected for the scholarship on the basis of different parameters as decided by the university. Successful applicants will be informed about the outcome of their applications tentatively in the month of May (for admission in August) or in October (for admission in January). Selected candidates will be required to sign a letter of undertaking agreeing to follow the terms and conditions for the award of the Scholarship. For details of the application and selection process, the candidates can contact the graduate division of the relevant faculty or school.