The National School of Drama invites candidates for admission to its three year full-time residential diploma course in Dramatic Arts. The course aims at training students to become professionals in the area of acting, design, direction and other theatre related disciplines. Interested candidates may start submitting their online applications from August 2023. Two rounds of selection, preliminary test and final test, will be conducted for shortlisting the candidates for admission. Complete details related to the NSD Admission 2023 have been provided here in this article.
NSD Admission 2023 Important Dates
The tentative dates related to NSD Admission 2023 are provided in the table below:
|Application form release date||August 2023|
|Last date to receive the request for offline application form (send via post)||To be updated|
|Last date to submit the application form||To be updated|
|Preliminary test date||To be updated|
|Publication of result||To be updated|
|Date of workshop||To be updated|
|Commencement of classes||To be updated|
NSD Admission 2023
Candidates who fulfill the eligibility conditions mentioned below can apply for the NSD Admission 2023:
|Nationality||Indian nationals as well as foreign national* candidates can apply for admission.|
|Age limit||As on 1st July 2023, the minimum and maximum age of the candidates should be 18 years and 30 years respectively|
|Academic criteria||A graduation degree from a recognized university is mandatory.|
|Physical fitness||Candidates must be fit, physically as well as mentally, in order to be eligible.|
|Others||The candidate must have participated in at least 6 theatre productions.|
Working knowledge of Hindi/ English is a must.
Recommendation from at least one theatre expert will be required along with the documentary proof of the theatre experience.
* Foreign national candidates must apply through the Indian Council for Cultural Relation as per the norms.
NSD 2023 Application Form
Application form for NSD 2023 admission will be made available through both online and offline mode. As per their convenience, the candidates can submit their application through any of these modes.
- Candidates can apply online for NSD Admission 2023 by visiting the official website of the School www.onlineadmission.nsd.gov.in.
- The candidates need to enter their personal and academic details into the application form.
- Scanned copies of candidates’ photograph, signature and other documents should also be uploaded into the application form.
- Duly filled application form can be submitted along with the application fee of Rs. 50/-.
- Payment of the application fee can be done online using net banking, credit card or debit card.
- After submission is done successfully, the candidates should take a printout of the application form and keep it safe for future reference.
- To receive the offline application form and prospectus by post, the candidates need to write to The Dean Academics, National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi – 110001.
- A crossed Demand Draft/ Pay Order of Rs. 225/-, payable at Delhi, drawn in favor of Director, National School of Drama, New Delhi should also be sent.
- Request for receiving the application form by post must reach the School by the last prescribed date.
- To fill the application form, the candidates need to provide their personal, academic, contact and other details.
- Application forms duly filled in & complete in all respects must reach To Dean Academic, National School of Drama, Bahawalpur House, Bhagwandas Road, New Delhi – 110001 on or before the last date.
- No application form will be entertained after the last date in any circumstances.
The following documents should be uploaded at the time of filling the online application form:
- Scanned photograph (less than 40 KB)
- Scanned signature (less than 20 KB)
- Scanned copy of age proof
- Scanned copy of relevant educational qualification (less than 100 KB)
- Scanned copy of recommendation from theatre experts (less than 100 KB)
- Scanned copy of category certificate, if SC/ ST/ OBC/ PWD (less than 100 KB)
- Scanned copy of theatre experience (less than 100 KB)
- Documentary proof of theatre experience (less than 100 KB)
NSD Selection Process 2023
Selection of the candidates for admission to the National School of Drama will be done on the basis of their performance in a preliminary test and a final test (or workshop).
The preliminary test will comprise of the following three tests- written test, practical test and analytical capacity. Date of the preliminary interview will be intimated to the candidates on their registered email and will be also be available on NSD website during March 2023/ April 2023.
- Written test: This test will assess the critical aptitude of the candidates and their power of expression in English and Hindi.
- Practical test: Enactment of one dramatic and one poetry passage will be done in the practical test. Candidates will be assessed on their ability to sing, play instrument, express directorial ideas, etc.
- Analytical capacity test: General knowledge of the candidates related to theatre and other performing arts and their idea and the capability to express them will be judged.
Final test (Workshop)
- Those who clear all the three tests of the preliminary round will have to attend a practical workshop. The workshop will be conducted for 5 days.
- This test will be conducted at the NSD by an expert committee set up for the purpose.
- Candidates who clear the workshop round as well will be considered for final admission.
- Medical test of the candidates will also be conducted and only those found to be medically fit will be offered admission.
- Admission will be granted to the candidates on the basis of their combined performance in preliminary & final test as well as their experience, background, etc.
NSD Admission 2023 FAQs
Question 1: Is there any provision for financial assistance for the candidates studying in NSD?
Answer: All selected students will be given a monthly scholarship of Rs. 8000/- p.m. to meet their academic and related expenses.
Question 2: What is the medium of instruction at the National School of Drama?
Answer: The medium of instruction at the National School of Drama will be English and Hindi both.
Question 3: Is there any relaxation in the prescribed upper age limit?
Answer: Yes. The candidates belonging to the reserved category will be given relaxation in the upper age limit as per the rules of Government of India (5 years for SC/ ST candidates).
Question 4: What are the proposed exam centers for NSD admission test?
Answer: The preliminary test is expected to be conducted in the following cities- Bhubaneswar, Bangalore, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Guwahati, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai and Patna. The final test will, however, only be conducted at the NSD campus, Delhi.
Question 5: Do I get TA/ DA for appearing in the final test of NSD?
Answer: The candidates who are shortlisted for the final test will be provided DA and round trip train fare (3 tier sleeper class) or bus fare from the place of their residence to Delhi by the shortest route. Accommodation will also be provided to the candidates on modest sharing basis.
Question 6: How do I get the study material for the auditions?
Answer: Study material and guidelines for preliminary test/ audition will be made available on the official website during March 2023/ April 2023.