The candidates who are looking to appear for the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) entrance exam must fulfill the NIFT Eligibility Criteria. This exam is organized to select the candidates for admission to numerous UG/ PG courses in the field of fashion & technology. The eligibility criteria are also different for various courses.
For admission to UG courses like B.Des, the age of an aspirant must be less than 23 years. There is no age limit for admission to postgraduate courses. Go through this post to check the complete eligibility criteria.
NIFT Bachelor’s Program Eligibility Criteria (B.Des/ B.F.Tech)
All the candidates who fulfill the prescribed age and educational qualification criteria mentioned below can apply for B.DES and B.F.Tech course.
Age Limit (Common for both B.Des. and B.F.Tech.)
- The age of a candidate should be less than 23 years as on 1st October 2021.
- Candidates from Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/ Person with Disability (PWD) categories will get a relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit.
Bachelor of Design (B.Des) (Fashion Design / Leather Design / Accessory Design / Textile Design / Knitwear Design / Fashion Communication)
- Aspirants who have passed the 10+2 exam from any recognized board can apply from the NIFT 2020 exam.
- Candidates who have cleared the Senior Secondary School Examination from National Open School with at least 5 subjects can also apply.
- All those candidates with a 3 or 4-years diploma recognized by AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education are also eligible.
- Applicants with General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/ Cambridge/Sri-Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level/ International Baccalaureate (IB) are also welcome to apply.
- You are also eligible if you have cleared any board/ public school/ University examination in India or in foreign countries as equivalent to 10+2 system recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
Bachelor of Fashion Technology (Apparel Production) (B.FTech) Programme
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 exam with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics subjects from a recognized board.
- Applicants who possess a 3 or 4-years diploma in any branch of Engineering recognized by AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education are also eligible.
- Students clearing senior secondary exam (12th class) exam from National Open School with at least 5 subjects including Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics are also eligible.
- Aspirants having passed any board/ public school/ University examination in India or in foreign countries as equivalent to 10+2 system with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics can also apply.
- Those candidates who have cleared the General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/ Cambridge/ Sri-Lanka) at the advanced (A) levels with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics/ International Baccalaureate (IB) are also eligible.
Masters Programmes (M.Des, M.F.M, and M.FTech) Eligibility Criteria
The NIFT exam is also conducted for many Master’s degree programs. In case you are looking to submit NIFT Application Form for any PG program then you should check the eligibility criteria mentioned below.
- There is no age limit for PG courses.
M.Des (Master of Design)
Candidates with any of the following academic qualifications can apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from any Institute / University recognized by law in India
- UG Diploma of at least 3 years duration from NID/ NIFT.
M.F.M (Master of Fashion Management)
Aspiring candidates should possess any of the following qualifications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline from any Institute / University recognized by law in India
- An undergraduate diploma of at least 3 years duration from NIFT/ NID.
M.F.Tech (Master of Fashion Technology)
Aspirants with any of the following educational qualifications are eligible.
- B.E / B.Tech degree from any recognized Institute / University in India.
- B.F.Tech. from National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
Other Important Details Related to NIFT Eligibility Criteria
- The applicant appearing from the qualifying exam (12th class exam or final year/ semester exam) can apply. However, they have to give proof of clearing the qualifying exam at the time of the counseling.
- In case the result of the qualifying exam is not declared till the time of counseling then admission can be provided based on the following documents.
- Affidavit on non-judicial stamp paper of Rs.10/- in the prescribed proforma. In case the age of an applicant is less than 18 years then the affidavit shall be signed by his/ her parent/guardian. Please note that submitting a fake affidavit is a punishable offense.
- A proof of clearing all papers in all the previous years/ semesters of qualifying degree examination (whichever relevant).
- Such candidates also need to carry the date sheet /admit card/ Principal’s certificate as proof of having appeared in the qualifying exam.
- If the result is not declared till the time of counselling then candidates have to provide the proof of clearing the exam till September 2021. Otherwise, the admission will be cancelled.
- The provisional admission will be given to those candidates who have appeared for the compartment exam. Such candidates have to clear the compartment exam from the same board. Otherwise, the admission will be stand cancelled automatically. Plus, the entire fee will be fortified.
- In case the aspirant hasn’t appeared for the qualifying exam before the date of counselling then he/she is not eligible.
- Please note that NIFT Admit Card will be released for the eligible candidates.
Reservation of Seats
The NIFT reservations for different categories are as follows.
- SC – 15%
- ST – 7.5%
- OBC (NON-CREAMY) – 27%
- GEN-EWS – 10%
- Person with Disability (PWD) – 5% (Horizontal reservation)
Selection Criteria for Foreign National/ SAARC/ NRI/ OCI and Domicile Categories
You must know the NEFT entrance exam will not be conducted for Foreign national/ SAARC/ NRI/ OCI and domicile categories candidates. The candidates will be selected based on SAT/ GMAT/ GRE scores. The entrance exams applicable for various courses are given in the table below.
|Bachelor’s Programme (B.Des & B.FTech)||SAT Score|
|Master’s Programme (M.F.M)||GMAT Score|
|Master’s Programme (M.Des & M.FTech)||GRE Score|