Candidates preparing for the JEE Main exam must make sure that they meet all the basic eligibility requirements for the same. The JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2021 will familiarize candidates with the age limit, number of attempts, educational criteria, etc. Candidates are suggested to ensure their eligibility for exam even before filling their JEE Main Application Form 2021. Those found ineligible at any stage will lose their candidature and forfeit their seats, if got admitted to any institute. Any fees submitted will also be not refunded in case the candidate is found ineligible.
- Eligibility criteria must be verified by the candidates before they proceed with the application process.
- Final admission of the qualified candidates will be subject to fulfillment of JEE Main eligibility criteria 2021.
- If any candidate is found ineligible at a later date even after admission to an institute, his/ her admission will be cancelled.
- The eligibility criteria for certain institutes might vary from the basic eligibility criteria for appearing in the JEE Main exam 2021.
- No admit card shall be issued to the candidates who do not fulfill the eligibility criteria for the entrance exam.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2021
The complete details of the JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2021 that must be fulfilled by the aspiring candidates are provided below.
Candidates of Indian nationality, Overseas Citizen of India, Person of Indian Origin and foreign national candidates are eligible to apply.
There will be no age limit to appear in the JEE Main exam 2021. However, the candidates are suggested to ensure the age limit requirements of the institutes in which they wish to take admission.
- For BE/ B.Tech degree programmes: The candidates should have passed their class 12th or equivalent exam from a recognized university with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry/ Biotechnology/ Biology/ Technical Vocational subject.
- For B.Arch/ B.Planning degree programmes: The candidates should have passed their class 12th or equivalent exam from a recognized university with Mathematics as compulsory subject.
Year of appearance in qualifying exam:
The applicants who have passed their class 12th exam or its equivalent in the year 2019 or 2020 or will be appearing in the qualifying examination in the year 2021 are eligible to appear in both January and April exams.
Number of subjects in the qualifying exam:
Candidates must have taken at least five subjects in their class 12th or equivalent examination in order to be eligible for JEE Main exam 2021. The candidates who have taken four subjects are not permitted to write and even if they appear in the exam by furnishing wrong information, their rank/ result will not be declared.
Institute-wise Eligibility Criteria
- For admission to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs, the candidate should have secured at least 75% marks in the class 12th or equivalent exam.
- For SC/ ST candidates the minimum marks in the 12th class examination should be 65%.
- Those in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class exam conducted by the respective boards are also eligible.
- For admissions in other institutes, the candidates must check their specific eligibility criteria.