JEE Main 2021: Application Form, Syllabus, Exam Date
About JEE Main: The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) for admission in different engineering/technology and architecture courses offered by the top-notch colleges in the country. Students can enroll themselves in the B.E/B.Tech and B.Arch/B.Plan programs provided by the IITs, NITs, centrally-funded universities and other private universities. From 2019 onwards, it was decided that JEE Main examination will be held twice a year i.e. candidates can give first attempt in January session and second attempt in April session. Candidates can use the highest marks obtained in any session of JEE Main examination to get admission in the institute of their choice.
JEE Main 2021: Candidates wishing to appear for JEE Main 2021 examination should note that the examination will tentatively be conducted in 2nd week of January 2021 and 2nd week of April 2021. Students can apply for the exam by filling the online application form. The examination will be held in online mode i.e. it will be a computer-based exam where a computer system will be allotted to the candidates and they have to mark the answers displayed on their computer screen. Candidates will get a total duration of 3 hours to finish the test.
JEE Main 2021 Important Dates
The expected schedule of JEE Main 2021 is as follows-
|Events||January session||April session|
|Online submission of application form||1st week of September 2020||2nd week of February 2021|
|Last date of online submission of application form||Last week of September 2020||1st week of March 2021|
|Last date to pay the application fee||1st week of October 2020||2nd week of March 2021|
|Admit card releasing date||November 2020||3rd week of March 2021|
|Examination date||1st week of January 2021||1st week of April 2021|
|Result announcement||Last week of January 2021||Last week of April 2021|
Check here- previous Years question paper
Are you eligible for JEE Main 2021? Find out here
Since the authority will prohibit the candidates who do not fulfill the requirements laid down by it, therefore, it is important for the applicants to go through the eligibility criteria to ensure that they meet the condition that makes them eligible to appear for the exam. The eligibility criteria for JEE Main exam are provided below-
- Age criteria: There are no age restrictions for the candidates to appear in JEE Main exam.
- Qualifying examination
- For engineering and technology: Candidates should have passed class 12th or its equivalent with Physics and Mathematics and Chemistry/ Biotechnology/ Biology/ Technical Vocational subject.
- For architecture and planning: Candidates should have passed class 12th or its equivalent with Mathematics as a compulsory subject.
- Year of appearance in qualifying examination: Students who have passed their class 12th exam in 2019 and 2020 or are appearing in class 12th examination or its equivalent exam in the year 2021 can apply for the entrance exam.
- Number of subjects in the qualifying examination: Applicants should have taken at least 5 subjects in class 12th or its equivalent to be eligible for JEE Main.
Know-how’s of JEE Main application form
Students planning to appear for JEE Main exam in 2021 should know the procedure on how to apply for the same. NTA will release the application form for the exam only on its official website. Therefore, candidates can fill the application form only in online mode and no other mode will be applicable for the same purpose. Here students must note that they only need to submit one application form as multiple entries will be rejected by the authority. The information to be filled in the form should be true to the knowledge of the candidate and should match the official records.
To apply for the exam, candidates must register for the same by providing their working phone number and an active email id. The application form will entail the details such as – personal details, academic details and other relevant information. Candidates will be required to pay a requisite amount as application fee for the exam failing which their applications will end up getting rejected by NTA.
Application fee to be paid
|Paper||Category||Exam centers in India||Exam center outside India|
|Paper-I or Paper-II||General/OBC||Rs. 500/-||Rs. 250/-|
|SC/ST/PWD/Transgender||Rs. 250/-||Rs. 250/-||Rs. 1000/-||Rs. 1000/-|
|Both Paper-I and Paper-II||General/OBC|
|SC/ST/PWD/Transgender||Rs. 450/-||Rs. 450/-||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 1500/-|
Mode of payment: Candidates can pay the application fee via online mode (credit card, debit card and net banking) or through E-Challan. Service/processing and GST charges are to be borne by the candidates.
What is the Exam Pattern of JEE Main 2021?
Knowing the exam pattern will help the students in understanding what to expect from the exam i.e. how the entire exam will be structured. This will eventually help them gain a perspective on how to begin the exam preparation. Candidates can go through the exam pattern specified by the authority as provided below-
- Mode of the exam: Online (CBT based)
- Exam duration: 3 hours
- Medium: English, Hindi and Gujarati
- Total number of paper: Paper-I and Paper-II (paper-II is for only architecture/planning aspirants)
- Total marks: 360 marks
- Total questions in each section: 30 questions
- Marking scheme: 4 marks for each correct answer
- Negative marking: 1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer
|Paper-I (B.E/B.Tech)||PCM||Computer-based mode|
|Drawing test||Offline (pen and paper-based)|
Preparation tips for JEE Main exam
Here are some important preparation tips for the candidates with the help of which they can score better marks in the JEE Main exam-
- Finish off the NCERTs first and go through the NCERTs at least twice. Then only proceed for the reference books.
- Make a habit of practicing previous year papers on a regular interval. It will increase your efficiency and you will get to know the areas where improvement is required.
- Do not waste your time gathering books. Rather focus on one book at a time.
- Often candidates fail to do revision and it affects their performance in the exam. So, candidates should regularly revise the topics they have studied to retain it in the memory for a longer duration.
- Never take your health lightly and you should eat a well-balanced diet. Skipping meals will not guarantee positive results and would rather take a toll on your mental well being.
JEE Main 2021 Syllabus
The syllabus of JEE Main entrance examination is typically based on the level of class 11th and 12th respectively. Here are some major topics that must be studied by the students to gain good marks in the exam-
- Physics: Work, power and energy, thermodynamics, current electricity, magnetic effects of current, laws of motion, kinematics, gravitation etc.
- Chemistry: Solid state, liquid state, gaseous state, hydrogen, carbon, s and p block elements, polymers, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, environmental chemistry etc.
- Mathematics: Matrices and determinants, sets, relations and mapping, integral calculus, permutation and combination, complex number, quadratic equation, etc.
- Arch/B.Plan aptitude test: Awareness of persons, places, buildings, analytical reasoning, mental ability, three-dimensional perception, etc
Which books to refer to crack JEE Main 2021 exam?
Given below are some of the notable reference books for JEE Main examination-
- Physics: HC Verma, DC Pandey, problems in general physics by Irodov.
- Mathematics: RD Sharma, RS Aggarwal, objective mathematics by SK Pundhir and ML Khanna.
- Chemistry: RC Mukherjee, OP Tandon, organic chemistry by Morrison and Boyd, organic chemistry by Solomon.
About JEE Main 2021 Admit card
- The admit card of JEE Main exam will likely be released a few weeks before the commencement of the examination.
- Candidates can download their hall ticket from the official website i.e. jeemain.nic.in.
- Candidates should take the printout of the admit card and keep it safe for further use.
- It is compulsory for them to bring the admit card to the exam hall along with a valid photo id proof.
- Those who do not possess the admit card at the time of exam shall not be allowed to take the test.
- The admit card should not be damaged or torn under any circumstances. Admit card in poor condition will not be considered valid.
JEE Main 2021 Result
- The result of JEE Main 2021 exam will most probably be announced in the last week of January and April (result will be displayed for the session a candidate has appeared).
- To check the JEE Main result, candidates will be required to login into the official web portal.
- Candidates can also download their score card by the same method.
- NTA will not allow any provision for the re-evaluation of the result once it is published on the website.
- The authority will then handover the result to the concerned counselling conducting bodies (CSAB/JoSAA) through which candidates can secure admission in a college.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: Will JEE Main 2021 be conducted twice or once?
Ans: JEE Main 2021 will be conducted twice in the month of January and April.
Ques: Who will conduct JEE Main in 2021?
Ans: NTA will conduct JEE Main in 2021.
Ques: What will be the mode of JEE Main application?
Ans: The National Testing Agency will release JEE Main application in online mode at its official website.
Ques: What will be the mode of exam?
Ans: The exam will be conducted in online mode- it is a computer-based examination.
Ques: Is there any negative marking in the exam?
Ans: 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect attempt.