IIT JAM 2023: For admission into M.Sc., M.Sc.-Ph.D, and other post-bachelor degree programmes at different IITs and IISc, Bangalore, IIT JAM 2023 will be conducted. The exam will be conducted on 12th February 2023 and the application form will be available from 7th September 2022. The process of registration, release of admit card, entrance exam, declaration of result, all will be done in online mode.
The candidates who wish to pursue their M.Sc degree from the prestigious IITs should start preparing for JAM. Certain preparation strategies and recommended books are provided in this article to help the candidates get ready for the exam. This article will also provide you the other details related to IIT JAM 2023 such as eligibility, exam pattern, syllabus, etc.
Latest: IIT JAM 2023 application form is all set to be accessible online from 7th September 2022.
IIT JAM 2023 Important Dates
|Name of the Events||Dates|
|IIT JAM 2023 Release of online application||7th September 2022|
|IIT JAM 2023 Last date for the application submission||11th October 2022|
|IIT JAM 2023 Release of admit card||January 2023|
|IIT JAM Exam date 2023||12th February 2023|
|Result announcement||22nd March 2023|
|Submission of application form for admission||April 2023, 1st to 3rd week|
|Last date for receipt of request for change of category or rectification of defective documents||May 2023, 1st week|
|Release of first admission list||May 2023, 3rd week|
|Release of second admission list||June 2023, 2nd week|
|Release of third and final admission list||June 2023, Last week|
|Closure of admissions||July 2023, 1st week|
IIT JAM 2023 Eligibility Criteria
The following eligibility criteria for IIT JAM 2023 need to be fulfilled by the aspiring candidates:
- Candidates of Indian, as well as foreign nationality, can apply.
- The candidates should have completed their bachelor degree in any discipline with a minimum of 55% marks or 5.5 CGPA for General/ OBC-NCL candidates and 50% marks or 5.0 CGPA for SC/ ST/ PwD candidates.
- The candidates appearing in the final exam of their qualifying degree are also eligible.
Candidates having letter grades/CGPA (as a substitute of percentage of marks), the equivalent percentage of marks would be decided by the concerned authority.
Candidates have to submit proof of getting the qualifying degree before the deadline intimated by the concerned authority.
At the time getting admission, candidates would be required to submit a physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner in the approved format. There is a possibility that candidates have to undergo through a physical fitness test by a medical board formulated by the admitting institute. In case a candidate is not found physically fit then his/her admission is liable to be cancelled.
Keep in Mind:
- It is your responsibility to show that you are meeting the required educational criteria.
- The concerned authority is liable to cancel the candidature of the candidate at any point of time if they found a candidate ineligible.
IIT JAM 2023 Application Form
The application form for IIT JAM 2023 may be submitted through JAM Online Application Processing System (JOAPS). In the application form, personal details, eligibility degree details, JAM paper/s choice, exam cities choice, details of the valid identity document, etc will be entered. Scanned copies of candidates’ photograph, signature, PWD certificate (if applicable) and category certificate (if applicable) will also be uploaded in the form.
After submitting all the required details into the application, it can be submitted along with the required application fee. The fee payment can only be done online through net banking/ credit card/ debit card.
|For One Test Paper||For Two Test Papers|
|Female (All Categories)/ SC/ ST/ PwD candidates||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1050/-|
|All Others||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2100/-|
IIT JAM 2023 Exam Pattern
The exam pattern of IIT JAM 2023 is given below:
- No. of test papers: 7 (Biotechnology (BT), Chemistry (CY), Geology (GG), Mathematical Statistics (MS), Biological Sciences (BL), Mathematics (MA) and Physics (PH))
- Mode of exam: Online
- Duration of exam: 3 hours
- Medium of paper: English
- No. of questions: 60
- Total marks: 100
- Negative Marking:
- For Section A: One-third marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- For Section B: No negative and no partial marking
- For Section C: No negative marking
|Sections||No. of Questions||Type of Questions||Total Marks|
|Section A||30||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||10×1+20×2=50|
|Section B||10||Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)||10×2=20|
|Section C||20||Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||10×1+10×2=30|
IIT JAM 2023 Syllabus
The syllabus for the 7 papers for which IIT JAM 2023 will be conducted is given here:
- Biological Sciences: General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology, etc.
- Biotechnology: Biology (10+2+3 level), Chemistry (10+2+3 level), Mathematics (10+2 level) and Physics (10+2 level)
- Chemistry: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Inorganic Chemistry
- Geology: The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Paleontology, Mineralogy, Petrology, etc
- Mathematics: Sequence and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of One, Two and Three Real Variable, Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, etc
- Mathematical Statistics: Sequence and Series, Calculus, Matrices, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, etc
- Physics: Mathematical Methods, Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics, Oscillations, Waves and Optics, Electricity and Magnetism, Devices and Electronics, etc
How to prepare for IIT JAM 2023?
In order to prepare well for your IIT JAM 2023, you can follow these certain strategies:
- Time management is very important while preparing for a tough exam like IIT JAM. Make a time table for efficient management of time.
- You have sufficient time left for your exam, so do not rush through the topics. Take your time and make your basics strong. With a strong foundation, you can tackle problems of any difficulty level.
- Keep on revising the things you study from time to time. Leaving the revision work for the last moment is not a very good idea.
- After you have acquired sufficient knowledge on every topic, try to practice sample papers, mock tests and previous year exam papers.
IIT JAM 2023 Recommended Books
- Biological Sciences: Life Sciences: Fundamentals and Practice-Pranav Kumar, Usha Mina, Cell and Molecular Biology-Karp, Genetics: A Conceptual Approach-Benjamin A. Pierce
- Biotechnology: Molecular Cell Biology-Harvey Lodish, Biochemistry-Lehninger, Microbiology-Michael Pelczar Jr.
- Chemistry: Physical Chemistry-Levine, Essentials of Nuclear Chemistry-H. J Arnikar, Chemistry of Organic Natural Products-O. P. Agarwal
- Geology: Physical Geology-Mukherjee, Structural Geology-Prof. Haakon Fossen, Geodynamic Evolution of India-K S Valdiya
- Mathematics: Mathematical Analysis-S.C. Malik, Integral Calculus-Gorakh Prasad, Geometry & Vectors – Vasishtha
- Mathematical Statistics: Introduction to Mathematical statistics-Hogg & Craig, Introduction to the Theory of Statistics-Mod & Graybill, Mathematical Analysis-S.C. Malik
- Physics: Introduction to Solid State Physics-Charles Kittel, Mathematical Methods for Physicists-Arfken, Heat and Thermodynamics-Mark Zemansky.
IIT JAM 2023 Admit Card
The successfully registered candidates will be able to download their admit card from the JOAPS website. The candidates must check all the details on their admit card and if any discrepancy is found, it must be communicated to the concerned authority. The admit card must be carried to the examination center along with valid identity proof (in original and photocopy).
IIT JAM 2023 Result
The IIT JAM 2023 result has been declared in online mode. Based on the marks scored in the admission test, ranking of the candidates will be done. The scorecard containing the All India Rank and the marks obtained can be downloaded from the official website. On the basis of All India Rank (AIR), an All India merit list (separate merit lists for the candidates belonging to the different categories) will be prepared.
Ques: What is the mode of filling admission form?
Ans: Candidates can fill their form by visiting the official website of Joint Admission Test for M.Sc (JAM).
Ques: How will I pay my JAM admission fee?
Ans: You can make the payment of fee through online mode. One can make the payment using debit card/credit card/net banking. Additional charges would be applicable depending upon the mode of payment. The application fee in non-refundable in nature.
Ques: What do I need to upload in class X certificate field?
Ans: You need to upload Class X Certificate of size less than 4 MB.
Ques: Which certificates do I need to upload for nationality?
Ans: If you belong to General category then you need to upload following certificates for nationality:
- Aadhar card
- Birth certificate
- Votor ID
- First page of passport
- School Transfer certificate (TC) as a proof of nationality
- National Certificate offered by the authority government agency
Documents which are not considered valid for Nationality include: Ration Card, Mark-sheet, Bank Passbook, PAN Card, School/ College ID, Driving License, etc. If you could not upload the Nationality certificate at the time of application then you have to submit the certificate at the time of admission.
Ques: Is it required to send hard copy of the document?
Ans: No, you don’t need to send a hard copy of the documents.