IIT JAM 2021 will be conducted to shortlist the candidates for admission into 2-year M.Sc, Joint M.Sc-PhD, M.Sc-PhD Dual Degree and other post-bachelor degree programmes. Admissions will be offered into different IITs as well as in other institutes such as IISc, IISER, NITs, etc. Interested candidates can apply for the admission test through online mode. The application form correction facility is active in between 2nd Nov to 10th Nov 2020. The admission test will also be held online on 14th February 2021.
IIT JAM 2021 counselling process would commence from 15th April 2021.
The answer key for IIT JAM 2021 is now available.
IIT JAM 2021 Papers
IIT JAM will be conducted for the following 7 papers:
- Biotechnology (BT)
- Chemistry (CY)
- Geology (GG)
- Mathematical Statistics (MS)
- Biological Sciences (BL)
- Mathematics (MA)
- Physics (PH)
- Economics (EN) paper (added this year)
IIT JAM 2021 Main Highlights
- IISc Bangalore is conducting IIT JAM 2021 this year.
- Candidates must carefully ensure their eligibility criteria before applying for IIT JAM.
- Any application which is incomplete in any respect or does not have the required valid documents will be summarily rejected.
- The candidates selected for admission will be intimated through SMS/ email and should provide their acceptance or rejection of offer online only.
- JAM scorecard must be produced at the time of reporting for admission, if asked by the admitting institute.
- At the time of admission, the selected candidates might have to undergo medical test by the medical board constituted by the admitting institute.
IIT JAM 2021 Important Dates
Below given are the dates related to IIT JAM 2021:
|Online application form availability||10th September 2020|
|Last date to submit the application form|
|Issue of admit card||2nd week of January 2021|
|Date of admission test||14th February 2021|
|Declaration of result||20th March 2021|
|Commencement of submission of admission form||1st week of April 2021|
|Last date for submission of admission form||15th to 28th April 2021|
|Last date for receiving request for category change or correction of defective documents||1st week of May 2021|
|Publication of 1st admission list||16th June 2021|
|Publication of 2nd admission list||1st July 2021|
|Publication of final admission list||16th July 2021|
|Closure of admission process||20th July 2021|
IIT JAM 2021 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must make sure that they fulfill the eligibility criteria given below to appear for IIT JAM 2021:
- The candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in order to appear for IIT JAM with a minimum aggregate of 55% marks (50% for SC/ ST/ PWD candidates).
- Applicants must be physically fit and a certificate regarding the same must be obtained from a registered medical practitioner in prescribed format.
- Those in the final year of their bachelor level programme can also apply for JAM 2020 given the final year exam is cleared before 30 September 2021.
IIT JAM 2021 Application Form
The applicants will be able to obtain and fill the IIT JAM 2021 application form through JAM Online Application Processing System or JOAPS. Before filling the application form, the candidates are advised to ensure their eligibility.
- In the application form, the candidates will have to enter their personal and educational details.
- Choice for JAM paper, exam cities choice, etc should also be provided at the time of filling the application form.
- Photograph and signature of the candidate in scanned format should also be uploaded.
- After providing all the details correctly into the form, the candidates can submit it online.
- Along with the application form, the candidates will also be required to submit a prescribed amount of application fee.
- There is no need to send hard copy of the filled in online application form to the organizing institute.
- However, a copy of the application for self reference should be kept by the candidates.
Below given is the category-wise application fee for the IIT JAM. Payment can be done online through net banking/ credit card/ debit card.
|For One Test Paper||For Two Test Papers|
|For Female/ SC/ ST/ PWD candidates||Rs. 750/-||Rs. 1050/-|
|For all other candidates||Rs. 1500/-||Rs. 2100/-|
Check below the exam pattern for IIT JAM 2021:
- Mode of exam: Online
- Number of papers: 7
- Duration of exam: 180 minutes
- Medium of paper: English
- Number of questions: 60
- Total marks: 100
- Negative marking:
- Section A: For each wrong answer one-third of the allotted marks will be deducted
- Section B: There will be no negative and no partial marking as well
- Section C: There will be no negative marking
|Sections||No. of Questions||Type of Questions||Total Marks|
|Section A||30||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)||10×1 + 20×2 = 50|
|Section B||10||Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)||10×2 = 20|
|Section C||20||Numerical Answer Type (NAT)||10×1 + 10×2= 30|
The syllabi for different papers of JAM are given below:
- Biological Sciences: General Biology, Basics of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology & Biophysics, Microbiology, Cell Biology & Immunology and Mathematical Sciences
- Biotechnology: General Biology, Basic Biotechnology, Microbiology, Chemical Bonding, Chemical Kinetics, Mathematical Induction, Trigonometry, etc
- Chemistry: Atomic & Molecular Structure, Theory of Gases, Organic Chemistry, Chemical Thermodynamics, Periodic Table, Transition Metals, etc
- Geology: The Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Stratigraphy, Paleontology, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology and Applied Geology
- Mathematics: Sequence & Series, Functions of One, Two or Three Real Variable, Real Analysis, Integral & Vector Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra and Group Theory
- Mathematical Statistics: Sequence and Series, Differential & Integral Calculus, Matrices, Probability, Random Variables, Standard Joint & Sampling Distributions, etc
- Physics: Thermodynamics, Mathematical Methods, Oscillations, Waves & Optics, Electricity & Magnetism, Modern Physics, Kinetic Theory, etc
- The admit card to appear in the IIT JAM 2021 can be downloaded by the candidate from the JOAPS website.
- Admit card will be released for all those candidates who register themselves successfully on time.
- Candidates should take a printout of the admit card and must carry it to the exam center.
- The candidates without a valid admit card will not be allowed to appear for the admission test.
- Applicants must keep the admit card safe till the completion of the admission procedure.
IIT JAM 2021 Result
- The result of IIT JAM 2021 is most likely to be released on 20th March 2021 and the candidates can check their result in online mode.
- To see and download their results, the candidates should check the official website jam.iitb.ac.in.
- Based on their performance in the test all the qualified candidates will be assigned an All India Rank.
- On the basis of this rank, a merit list will be prepared according to which the rest admission processes will be carried out.
- Score card indicating All India Rank and the marks obtained by the candidate will also be available for download from the JAM website.
- After declaration of result and preparation of rank list, the successful candidates will have to fill admission form.
- In the admission form, the candidates should carefully indicate their preference for programmes and institutes.
- Seats will be allotted to the candidates on the basis of their ranking and the choice made by them.
- Admission list for each programme will be made by the organizing institute and published on the official website.
- Selected candidates will then have to get their original documents and eligibility verified.
- Final admissions will only be granted to those who get their documents verified successfully.