Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India level entrance exam conducted by Indian Institute of Science for admission to post-graduate programmes such as M.E., M.Tech, direct PHD offered by centrally funded Indian institutes of higher education. GATE score is also used by some private and public sector undertakings for employment procedure. The article is illustrating here pre-exam and post-exam information of GATE including eligibility criteria, application process, exam pattern, syllabus, answer sheer, result, scorecard etc.
Number of Students Appeared in GATE Exam
|Year||Number of Candidates|
|2011||Aprox 553,000 *|
|2010||Aprox 415,000 *|
Latest Changes in GATE Exam
- The respective authority is allowing aspirants to use online virtual calculator during the exam, however physical calculator is not allowed. For the convenience of candidates, the university puts the online virtual calculator in advanced for practice.
- Answer key will be available at the official website for some duration. Candidates are permitted to put challenge against every answer key but for the same they will have to pay nominal fee.
- The authority has introduced a new paper in the year 2016 named Petroleum Engineering (PE) and hence now the total number of paper is 23. List of paper codes are mentioned as below:
GATE exam is organized by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) along with seven 7 IITs. List of those 7 IITs along with zones are furnished below:
Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science
Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
Minimum Eligibility Criteria Required for GATE Exam
GATE Exam Pattern
- Multiple Choice Questions and Numerical Questions will be involved in the question paper.
- Multiple choice questions will consist of four alternatives, out of which one option is right. Candidates are required to answer Numerical questions by using a keypad.
- General Aptitude section consisting 15 questions will be common to all papers.
- Questions’ distribution for paper codes including EY, AR, CY, MA, GG, XL and PH: General Aptitude (15%) and Main subject (85%).
- Questions’ distribution for paper codes BT, AE, AG, CS, CE, CH, IN, EC, EE, MT, ME, MN, PI, TF and XE: General Aptitude (15%), Main subject (70%) and Engineering Mathematics (15%).
- MCQ type questions will be of 1 or 2 marks. 1/3 marks gets deducted for 1 mark questions and 2/3 for 2 marks questions in case of each wrong attempt.
- Numerical answer questions will be for 1 or 2 marks. No negative marking rule will be applicable in this section.
How to Apply?
Get access of official portal of GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) i.e. http://appsgate.iisc.ernet.in/ in order to apply for GATE exam. Photographs, category certificates, signatures and other necessary certificates required to be uploaded in the prescribed format.
Rs. 1500/- for General/OBC-NCL Male Candidates/Other Candidates and Rs 750/- for Women/SC/ST/ PwD category candidates
GATE Exam Availability Details
Admit card for appearing in GATE exam will be obtained from the official website. Candidates are required to get updated with date of release of admit card.
Result and Counseling Details
GATE exam result will be made available by the respective authority at its official website. There will be no common counseling gets conducted for admission in Indian Institute of Technology; however NITs admission will be done through CCMT process.
Contact Information of Zonal GATE Office