GATE 2017 – It is the national level entrance exam conducted for admissions in various colleges across the nation in the course of M. Tech. Conducted ONCE every year, the exam is highly recognized and one of the criteria of admissions in almost all the colleges. GATE 2017 will stand for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering 2017. Every year different colleges or institutes organize the exam such as this year it was organized by the Indian Institute of Science. Find all the important dates, application details, eligibility norms, reservation criteria, cutoff and exam pattern etc. in this post.
New things Introduced in the exam:
- The online calculator was made available.
- The answer keys will be made available in short duration of time after the exam.
- The fee to submit the objections for the answer key will be nominal.
GATE 2017 – Financial Assistance:
- The candidates obtaining valid score in the exam will be eligible for the financial assistance in the Postgraduate courses, Direct Doctoral Courses (Architecture, Engineering and Technology) and the relevant Doctoral Science courses in the MHRD or Govt. supported institutes.
Admission Process (Test/Interview) in PG Courses:
- The 70% weightage will be given to the candidates’ performance in the GATE 2017 exam
- 30% weightage will be given to the academic record or test or interview performance as per the norms of MHRD.
- Further, the candidates must cross the cutoff marks specified by the college or institution for the admission.
GATE 2017 – Introduction:
- Exam will be conducted for 23 subjects in the online mode or the Computer Based Test.
- The answers for some questions will be numerical which are to be submitted by the candidates by using the virtual keypad on the screen.
- Other questions will be MCQs which are to be submitted using the mouse.
- Before the exam of GATE 2017, some randomly chosen candidates will have to go for the Biometric Verification in which their photos and fingerprints will be taken.
- All the steps related to the entrance exam will be online and there will be NO Physical step including the sale of the application forms. Hence, the candidates should stay away from all the third parties and agents.
- Further, there is no requirement to send any of the hard copies of the forms of GATE 2017 exam to any of the zonal offices or the exam organizing college.
- The fee submission can be done online via the Card and Net Banking as well as via the E Challan.
GATE 2017 Exam – Important Dates:
The following section will feature all the dates which are of importance for the candidates. As the exam brochure for the GATE 2017 has not yet been released, we have hosted the tentative dates for the exam. With the release of the information brochure, we shall make the necessary updates:
|Online Form Submission Deadline||September 2016 (week 1) to October 2016 (Week 1)|
|Deadline to alter the exam center||November 2016 (Week 3)|
|Admit Card Availability||December 2016 (Week 2)|
|GATE 2017 Online Exam
(9 am to 12 noon
2 pm to 5 pm)
|January 2017 (Week 4)
February 2017 (Week 1)
|Result Declaration||March 2017 (Week 3)|
After having read the important dates regarding the GATE 2017 Exam, let us move on to the eligibility criteria which has been specified by the exam authorities for all the candidates.
GATE 2017 – Eligibility Criteria:
There are different eligibility norms decided by the exam bodies for all the courses. There is one norm common:
- All the candidates have to produce their Provisional / Degree Certificate or Course completion Certificate. The certificates will be verified at the time of document checking round. Hence you should have them before it.
All the others are mentioned in the following section:
Course 1 – B.E./ B.Tech / B.Arch / B. Pharm:
- In order to be eligible for admissions, you should be in final year of the course or a pass out. The final year student must graduate in 2017 to be eligible for GATE 2017.
Course 2 – For B.Sc (Research) / B.S.:
- All the FINAL year students and the pass outs will be eligible for GATE 2017. It has been strictly mentioned in the clauses that the year of passing should be 2017.
For M.Sc/ M.A./ MCA:
- Students should either be studying in FINAL year or should have already passed the course at the time of application. Year of passing should be 2017 to be eligible for admissions.
For Int. M.E/ M.Tech (Post B.Sc):
- The candidates will be termed as eligible if they are in 2nd/3rd/ 4th Year or pass out. However, for this course, the year of qualification should NOT be later than 2019 as per the eligibility norms of the Exam of GATE 2017.
For Int M.Sc/ Int B.S. – M.S.:
If you are currently in final year or pass out then you can apply for exam given that the year of passing is not later than 2017. Degree Completion or Provisional Certificate is to be submitted at the time of admission.
Aspirants with Backlogs:
According to the Eligibility Criteria if a student has backlog (one or more) then:
- He / She have to submit the copy of the one of the DMC of your final year.
- In other case he /she have to upload the declaration along with the application form signed by the Principal.
GATE 2017 – Application Form:
- The application forms will be submitted online only from the official website.
- As soon as the applications have been released, we shall be hosting the appropriate links for the same on this page. Till then, read the other relevant information.
- For the online form submission for the GATE 2017 Exam, the candidates should first logon to the official website of the exam and follow the link for the online application.
- The candidates will be required to register online by submitting the following:
Date of Birth
- The login details will be sent on the submitted Email ID as well as the mobile number.
- Use them and login to the online form submission portal (link will be hosted soon).
- The online form will appear in which you are to submit:
Academic Details (Class X, XII and Graduation)
Upload the Photo and Signature (Scanned images in JPEG format as per the released guidelines)
Other such information
- After the submission of all these details in the online form of the Exam of GATE 2017, verify all of them, and press the submit button.
- Finally, the candidates are to submit the FEE for the online exam via online or offline mode which are as follows:
Online Mode: Credit or Debit Cards and Net Banking
Offline Mode: E Challan (will be generated online only, with 3 copies)
- After the fee has been submitted by the offline mode, the details of the transaction are to be submitted in the online form. Online fee remission will not require any such thing.
- Finally, the candidates will be able to generate the confirmation page which is to be retained by them. NO need to send the hard copies at the offices.
GATE 2017 – Fee Details:
- Women Candidates: Rs 750
- PwD/ST/SC: Rs 750
- All others: Rs 1500
GATE 2017 – Paper Pattern:
- All the question papers (subjects) with the codes AG, AE, BT, CE, CS, EC, CH, EE, ME, IN, MT, PI then this paper will contain engineering mathematics section which will carry 15 % of the 70 % of the exam.
- Paper with codes GG, AR, CY, EY, MA, PH, and XL will have subject’s questions which will carry 85 % of the total paper and 15% general aptitude.
- This exam will contain aptitude section which is the mandatory section in GATE 2017.
- Questions will come in two format:
MCQs which will carry 1 or 2 marks and have four choices each
Numerical Answer questions which will carry 1 or 2 marks. Also in this a real number has to be entered via virtual keypad. Answer will be considered up to certain range.
- Concept of negative marking will be present.
1/3 of the total marks of the question will be deducted in case of 1 mark question.
2/3 of the total mark of the question will be deducted in case of 2 marks question.
For numerical ability questions:
- No negative marking will be done in these questions.
- Total 65 questions (including GA) will be in the exam:
30 questions will be of 1 mark
- 35 questions will be of 2 marks
GATE 2017 – Admit Card:
- Admit Cards will be released ONLINE.
- Links for the download will be hosted HERE.
- It will bear lots of information on the exam and candidate; such as:
Name, Date of Birth, Category etc of the holder
Photo and Signature of the holder
Exam Date, Time of reporting, Time of exam and GATE 2017 Venue
Exam Roll Number, Exam Structure etc
- Bring the admit card mandatorily in the exam to gain entry in the hall.
- Preserve the document after the exam as it will be required at various steps till the admissions are over.
GATE 2017 – Results:
The result hosting will be done by the exam authorities and there will be NO re – evaluation or re – checking of the result score. The admissions in various institutions will be done on the basis of your merit in exam. There will be different merit lists for the candidates of different categories. The Exam Results will show:
- Your Aggregate Marks in Paper
- Section Wise Marks in Paper
- Overall Rank
- Category Rank etc.
Your score in exam will be VALID for THREE YEARS from the date of result declaration.
Initially, the score obtained by every candidate in GATE 2017 will be NORMALIZED and then the final score will be generated for generation of results.
GATE 2017 – Score Card:
- Score Cards will be available online only.
- They will be hosted online after the declaration of results.
- The Score Cards can be downloaded by ONLY those candidates who have secured marks more than or equal to the qualifying marks for PwD, SC and ST candidates in that Paper.
- To download the Score Cards, the candidates can access the websites of Zonal IITs where they submitted the online applications.
As soon as the information brochure is out, other details on the GATE 2017 will be updated here. Till then, maintain a constant touch.