The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under the ministry of science & technology, Government of India will invite applications for Junior Research Fellowship in Biotechnology. Candidates looking to pursue a career in Biotechnology research may fill the application form online. To select candidates for DBT JRF 2021, authorities will conduct an online exam known as Biotechnology Eligibility Criteria (BET). Currently, the BET exam is managed by the Biotech Consortium India Limited (BCIL). All the necessary details regarding the DBT JRF 2021 selection process is provided in this post.
DBT JRF 2021 Main Highlights
- The candidates may choose the three different preferences of cities as exam center cities while filling the form.
- Initially, the fellowship will be for 3 years. However, it may get extended by 2 years based on the performance of a candidate.
- The official notification is expected to release in the month of February 2021.
- After the exam, the authority will release two merit lists i.e. category – I merit list and category – II merit list.
- Candidates in the category – I will be shortlisted for the fellowship program offered by DBT. Those who get selected in the category – II will avail fellowship from the project equivalent to NET/ GATE.
The tentative schedule of DBT JRF 2021 is given in the table below.
|Main Activities||Tentative Dates|
|Starting of online registration||3rd week of February 2021|
|Closure of online registration||4th week of March 2021|
|BET Examination Date||3rd week of April 2021|
|Availability of question paper and answer key on the official website||3rd week of April 2021|
|Last date for accepting representation against the answer key||4th week of April 2021|
|Declaration of DBT JRF 2021 result||4th week of May 2021|
DBT JRF Eligibility Criteria 2021
Before filling the application form, candidates need to ensure that they fulfill the eligibility criteria given below.
- The age of an aspirant should be less than 28 years as on 22nd March 2021. SC/ ST/ differently-abled/ women candidates will get relaxation of up to 5 years. OBC (Non-creamy layer) will get relaxation of up to 30 years.
- Applicants must possess any of the following degree M.Sc./ M.Tech/ M.V.Sc./ Integrated BS-MS/ B.E/ B.Tech in any discipline of Biotechnology/ M.Sc./ M.Tech (Bioinformatics/ Computational Biology/ Life Science/ Bioscience/ Zoology/ Botany/ Microbiology/ Biochemistry/ Bio-Physics)
- Candidate must have at least 60% marks in the qualifying degree exam (55% for SC/ ST/ differently-abled candidates)
- Those candidates who are going to appear for the qualifying exam in the year 2021 are also eligible.
DBT JRF Application Form 2021
The candidates looking for admission need to register on the official website i.e. http://www.bcil.nic.in. Important details related to the admission process are as follows.
- To initiate the application process, candidates need to register by providing basic information like name, phone number, etc.
- A user ID and password will get generated right after the registration.
- Then, the candidates may log in and enter their personal and qualification details.
- The details in the application form must be correct otherwise the application may get rejected.
- After filling the form, aspirants have to upload the soft copies of the following documents.
- A passport size photograph (Maximum 80 Kb size, in JPG/JPEG format)
- signature (Maximum 80 Kb size, in JPG/JPEG format)
- Date of Birth Proof (Maximum 150 Kb size, in JPG/JPEG format)
- Qualifying Marks Certificate
- Candidates appear for the qualifying exam in 2021 need to upload scan copy of form in qualifying exam certificate duly filled and signed by HOD/HOI (Maximum 150 Kb size, in JPG/JPEG format).
- Category/Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- Once the documents are uploaded, the aspirants can finish up the application process by paying the application fee.
- Keep a copy of the application form submitted along with the fee receipt safe for future requirements.
The fees applicable for various categories are as follows.
- General, EWS and OBC category: Rs. 1000/-
- SC, ST, and Differentially-abled candidates: Rs. 250/-
Mode of Payment: Aspirants may pay the fees online by using a credit card, debit card or internet banking.
DBT JRF Exam Pattern 2021
Those candidates who are preparing for the exam may check the Exam pattern mentioned below.
- Mode of Examination: Online (Computer Based Test)
- Parts of the question paper: 2 (Part A and Part B)
- Type of Questions: Objective type Multiple choice questions
- Number of Questions: 100 (50 questions from each part)
- Language of Exam: English
- Duration of Exam: 180 minutes (3 hours)
- Marking Scheme: 3 marks for each question
|Parts||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks|
|Part – A (General science, Mathematics, Chemistry, General aptitude, analytical, quantitative ability, general biotechnology, etc)||50 questions (all compulsory)||150|
|Part – B (Specific areas of Biotechnology)||50 questions (out of 150 questions)||150|
|Total||100 questions||300 marks|
DBT JRF Syllabus 2021
Aspirants may take a look at the syllabus of DBT JRF 2021 examination.
Aptitude: Comprehension, finding the odd one out, chemistry, quantitative ability, mathematics, general biotechnology, etc.
Specialized Branches in Biotechnology
Agricultural Biotechnology: Plant Biology, physiology, molecular biology and seed technology, Tissue Culture, Transgenic Technologies and Biotechnology, Molecular Breeding and Genomics, Abiotic and Biotic Stress Biology, Biodiversity, etc.
Animal Biotechnology: Animal Physiology and Biochemistry, Histology and Embryology, Animal Parasitology, Animal Virology, Immunology, Pathology, Animal Genetics, Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Molecular Diagnostics, Research Methodologies, etc.
Environmental Biotechnology: Basic Ecological Concepts and Principles, Chemistry of organic and inorganic chemicals polluting Environment, Environmental Pollution, Water Pollution, Waste Water Treatment systems, Treatment of Typical Industrial Effluents, Management of municipal, biomedical and agricultural solid waste, Environmental Pollution control, etc.
DBT JRF Admit Card 2021
- BCIL uploads the admit card of the candidates on its official website i.e. http://www.bcil.nic.in.
- Candidates who will submit the application form and fee before the last date will be able to download the admit card by entering their application ID and password.
- It is compulsory for all the candidates to carry a printed copy of the admit card to the examination hall along with a valid ID proof.
- No candidates will be allowed to enter the examination hall without having a valid admit card.
- It is also advised to keep the admit card till the recruitment process gets over.
Result and Selection process
- Once the exam is over, the authorities will publish answer keys on the official portal.
- Candidates may check the result by entering their User ID (application sequence number) and password.
- Those aspirants who will score more than cutoff marks will be shortlisted for further admission.
- Selected candidates have to send photocopy of all the documents listed below to DBTJRF programme office at the earliest.
- Copy of the BET-2021 Hall Ticket
- Date of Birth Certificate (preferably SSC certificate)
- Final mark sheet of the qualifying degree
- Certificate of the qualifying degree
- For SC/ST/PH candidates, proof for the category (preferably in English)
- For OBC candidates, latest non-creamy layer certificate (preferably in English)
- A Cover letter mentioning address for communication, phone/mobile number and email ID
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: Are foreign Nationals eligible for DBT JRF 2021?
Answer: No, only Indian citizens can apply for the exam.
Question – 2: In how much time do I need to submit the documents for verification after result declaration?
Answer: You may submit the documents within one year.
Question – 3: Is there any way to apply for the exam in offline mode?
Answer: No, authorities do not accept application forms in offline mode.