The eligibility criteria of Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET) are defined by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). The candidates who are aspiring to be a teacher through the CTET exam must fulfill the CTET Eligibility Criteria 2021. The aspirant should note that the eligibility criteria will be different for CTET paper 1 and Paper 2. Paper 1 will be conducted for the teachers of Class 1st to 5th (primary classes). On the other hand, Paper 2 will be conducted for the teachers of class 6th to 8th (elementary classes).
The candidate can apply for Paper 1, Paper 2 or both the papers depending upon the eligibility criteria they fulfill. It is recommended to check the eligibility criteria carefully before submitting the application form because the application fee once submitted will not be returned.
Here are the important highlights of CTET eligibility criteria that the aspiring candidates must know.
- There are different eligibility criteria for primary teachers (class 1st to 5th) and elementary teachers (class 6th to 8th )
- If the candidates satisfy the eligibility criteria for both the papers i.e. paper 1 and paper 2 then they can appear for both the exams.
- In case a candidate is found ineligible at the time of appointment then his/her candidature will stand cancelled.
- The candidate should confirm that they are eligible before submitting the application form because the application fee will not be refunded.
CTET Eligibility Criteria 2021 for Class 1st to 5th: Primary Stages
- The candidates must have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with at least 50% marks and a 2-year diploma in elementary education.
- The aspirant having passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with 45% marks and a 2-year diploma in elementary education in accordance with the NCTE regulation 2002 can also apply.
- If a candidate has passed 4-year Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.) after clearing 10+2 with at least 50% marks then he/she is also eligible.
- The applicants having passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with 45% marks and a 2-year diploma in education (special education) can also apply.
- The candidates who have scored at least 50% marks in graduation and possess Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degree can also apply.
Note: The candidates who are going to appear for the final year exam of the Diploma in Elementary Education/ B.El.Ed. / B.Ed. can also apply.
Eligibility Criteria for Class 6th to 8th: Elementary Stages
- The candidate must have passed a 2-year diploma course in elementary education after clearing the graduation.
- The candidates who possess a 1 year B. Ed degree after clearing the graduation exam can also apply. Such candidates must have at least 50% at the graduation level.
- In case a candidate has a 1 year B. Ed degree with at least 45% marks at graduation level in accordance with the NCTE regulation then he/she can also apply.
- The candidates who have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with at least 50% marks and 4-year Bachelor in Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.) can also apply.
- The applicants who have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with a minimum 50% marks and 4 year BA.Ed/ B.Sc.Ed/ or B.A/ B.Sc. Ed can also apply.
- If a candidate has passed graduation with 50% marks and 1-year B. Ed (Special Education) then he/ she is also eligible.
- Any candidate who has cleared the B.Ed programme recognized by NCTE is eligible to appear for the CTET exam. In addition to this, if a candidate is doing any teacher education course recognized by NCTE or RCI then he/she is eligible.
Note: The candidates appearing in the final year exam of the qualifying degree/diploma can also apply.
Other Important Points
- A relaxation of up to 5% in the qualifying exam marks will be given to the candidates from SC/ ST/ OBC / Differently Abled categories.
- In case the candidate has a diploma in Education (special education) or B.Ed (Special Education) then it should be recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI).
- A candidate with D.Ed (Special Education) needs to go under 6-month special programme in elementary education.