CDS 2022: The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts the Combined Defense Services (CDS) examination to provide admission to eligible candidates in the Indian Naval Academy, Indian Military Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers’ Training Academy. UPSC conducts CDS exam twice in a year. Candidates, who wish to join the deference services, can apply for CDS 2022. The registration process for CDS will begin on 22nd December 2021.
The write-up provides all the essential details about the CDS 2022 including the information of CDS 2022 Application Form, Eligibility Criteria, Exam Pattern, and Important Dates as well.
CDS 2022 application process will start from 22nd December 2021.
Vacancies for CDS I
|Indian Military Academy, Dehradun 146th (DE) Course starting in January 2019||100|
|Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala courses starting in January 2019- (including 06 vacancies reserved for NCC ‘C’ Certificate holders (Naval Wing)||45|
|Air Force Academy, Hyderabad—(Pre-Flying) Training Course starting in February 2019||32|
|Officers’ Training Academy, Chennai (Madras)— 109th SSC (Men) Course (NT) commencing in April 2019||225|
|Officers Training Academy, Chennai—23rd SSC Women (Non-Technical) Course starting in April 2019.||12|
CDS 2022 Calendar- Important Dates
The dates (tentative) for CDS (I & II) 2022 have been given in the following table:
|Sl.No.||Name of the Events||(CDS-I)||(CDS-II)|
|1.||Date for the Online Registration||22nd December 2021||18th May 2022|
|2.||Last date for application form submission||11th January 2022||14th June 2022|
|3.||Date of Admit Card Release||January 2022||July 2022|
|4.||Exam commencement Date||10th April 2022||4th September 2022|
|5.||Result of the test||February 2022||September 2022|
CDS 2022 Application Form
The CDS application form needs to be filled by the candidates through the official website of UPSC. Candidates need to fill the application form with all the details as required such as the name, age and the educational qualifications of the applicants. Candidates will also need to upload the photo and signature in the fields given in the application form. Moreover, there will be application fee which must be paid by the candidates as accordingly. Lastly, candidates can take the printout of the application form for the future reference.
Part 1 Registration Process
- You need to go to the official web portal of UPSC and enter into the Examination tab.
- Here you need to choose the option ‘Combined Defense Services Examination’.
- Click that link and Part I registration option will be displayed on the screen.
- You need to provide common details such as your name, email ID, date of birth, category etc.
- It is further compulsory to fill preference for IMA, AFA, INA, and OTA. Preferences would be indicated using 0/1/2/3/4.
- You need to verify all the information in the application and make modifications if necessary.
- Candidates won’t be allowed to make any modification further.
- Soon after completion of part I registration, you need to enter the unique registration I and other details.
Part 2 Registration Process
CDS Exam Solved Paper- Last 11 years- Buy Now
- You need to choose “Part II registration after the completion of first part registration”.
- You need to enter your registration number and Date of Birth.
- You’ll be asked to pay the application fee either online or through offline channel.
- You can select one out of three sections- cash payment, payment through net banking or payment through card.
- Further, you need to upload the scanned copies of signature and photograph according to the instructions provided in the notification.
- You need to choose the exam centres from the drop down menu.
Once all the given steps are completed, please take a printout of confirmation page for future reference.
Details of the CDS Application Fee
The fee details are as given below:
- Candidates of the General and OBC category will pay the application Rs. 200. Female candidates are exempted from paying the money.
- Candidates, who belong to the reserved category will be exempted from the application fee.
- Candidates can pay the application fee through the credit card, debit card, net banking or SBI’s bank challan.
- Candidates must keep the payment proof reserve for future reference.
CDS Exam Centre
The exam will be held at following centres. Candidates need to decide their choice of exam centre while filling online application form. If they take the test at a centre other than marked by Commission their answer sheet won’t be evaluated.
AGARTALA, AIZAWL, AHMEDABAD, ALLAHABAD, BENGALURU, BHOPAL, BAREILLY, CHANDIGARH, CUTTACK, CHENNAI, DEHRADUN, DHARWAD, DELHI, DISPUR, GANGTOK, HYDERABAD, ITANAGAR, IMPHAL, JAIPUR, JORHAT, JAMMU, KOCHI, KOLKATA, KOHIMA, LUCKNOW, MUMBAI, MADURAI, NAGPUR, PATNA, PANAJI (GOA), PORT BLAIR, RANCHI, RAIPUR, SHILLONG, SAMBALPUR, SHIMLA, SRINAGAR, TIRUPATI, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, UDAIPUR AND VISAKHAPATNAM.
CDS Eligibility Criteria
Those, who want to apply for CDS 2022 must fulfill the eligibility criteria set by UPSC.
Candidates should be an Indian citizen. Subjects of candidates from Nepal, Bhutan, Burma, Tibet, Sri Lanka & various East African Countries are also eligible to apply. Such candidates will have to provide a certificate issued by authorities of Government of India verifying the claim.
For admission into the Officers’ Training Academy (OTA) and Indian Military Academy (IMA), candidates must hold a bachelor level degree from a recognized institute.
For admission into the ‘Indian Naval Academy’ (INA), candidates are required to have a bachelor level engineering degree. Moreover, all the applicants need to have passed the Higher Secondary Education (12th) with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.
For OTA, the age of the applicants needs to be 25 years and for admission into the other academies, candidates of age group from 20 to 24 years will be eligible to apply.
CDS Exam Pattern
The CDS Test (I) and (II) will be conducted in the month of February and September respectively. Candidates will be required to take part in the exam based on objective questions having multiple choices for answers. The exam will be a pen and paper based exam which will be conducted offline at various exam centres. The questions in the exam will be from Elementary Mathematics, English, and General Knowledge subjects. There will be a provision of negative marking in the exam. This is a quick overview of the exam pattern.
Pattern for admission to Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy and Air Force Academy
|Subjects Involved||Test Duration||Marks Specified|
|English||2 Hours||100 marks|
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100 marks|
|Elementary Mathematics||2 Hours||100 marks|
Pattern for admission to Officers’ Training Academy
|Subjects Involved||Test Duration||Marks Specified|
|English||2 Hours||100 marks|
|General Knowledge||2 Hours||100 marks|
Other important highlights are:
- The maximum marks allotted to the written exam and to the interviews is equal to each course. It will be 300, 300, 300 and 200 each for admission to the Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy and Officers’ Training Academy respectively.
- All questions will be objective type only. General Knowledge and Elementary Mathematics will be bilingual in Hindi as well as English.
- Candidates are restricted to answer question in their own hand. Under no circumstances, they are permitted to take help from a scribe for writing answers.
- Candidates are not allowed to use calculator for answering objective type question papers. Even, they are restricted to bring the same in the exam hall.
The eligible candidates will be issued CDS 2022 Admit Card at least three weeks before the commencement of the exam. The admit card will be released through online mode at the official website of UPSC. The authority will not send admit card via post to any candidate. To download the admit card, candidate have to enter their registration number & date of birth in the given fields. For Interview/Personality Test the board will issue the separate Admit Card.
The conducting body i.e. UPSC will release the answer key after the successful completion of the exam. Candidates who appeared in the entrance exam can download the answer key from the official website of the commission. The answer key will also be released by various coaching institutes. With the help of the CDS 2019 answer key, candidates can easily check their scores based on the number of correct and wrong answers.
CDS 2022 Syllabus
The Syllabus of CDS exam 2022 will be decided by UPSC. Candidates who want to appear in CDS 2022 exam should go through the syllabus carefully. A proper understanding of syllabus will help the candidates while their preparation for the exam. Below, we are listing the section wise syllabus for CDS 2022.
CDS Syllabus for English
- Spotting Errors Questions
- Sentence Arrangement
- Selecting Words
- Comprehension Questions
- Synonyms & Antonyms
- Ordering of Sentence
- Vocabulary Preparation
- Fill in the blanks questions
CDS Syllabus for Mathematics
Syllabus for General Knowledge
- Latest Current Affairs
- Indian Constitution
- Indian Economy
- Indian Politics
- Indian History
- Indian Geography
- Indian Navy & Military
- Sports – Awards etc.
- Banking Sector
- Books & Authors
Intelligence and Personality Test
The SSB is a two stage selection procedure- stage I and stage II. Candidates would be allowed to take stage II only after clearing the stage I. The respective details are as follows:
- Stage I- It is a Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests which comprise of Picture Perception & Description Test (PP&DT). Candidates are to be shortlisted based on their performance in OIR test and PP& DT.
- Stage II includes- Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. It will be conducted over duration of 4 days.
Selection of candidates will be based on Written Exam, Personal Interview, Document verification and Medical test of the candidates. Candidates will have to clear all the stages of the selection process. Candidates, who will pass the written entrance exam, will be called for SSB (Service Selection Board) which includes intelligence test, psychological aptitude test, and interview. UPSC will prepare a final merit list based on the total marks obtained in the written test and in the SSB tests.
Pay scale of Army Officers and equivalent ranks in Air Force and Navy
|Rank||Level||Prescribed Pay Scale (In Rupees)|
|Lieutenant||Level 10||56,100 – 177500|
|Captain||Level 10 B||61,300 – 1,93,300|
|Major||Level 11||69,400 – 2,07,200|
|Lieutenant Colonel||Level 12A||1,21,200 – 2,12, 400|
|Colonel||Level 13||1,30,600 – 2,15,900|
|Brigadier||Level 13A||1,39,600 – 2,17,600|
|Major general||Level 14||1,44,200 – 2,18,200|
|Lieutenant General HAG Scale||Level 15||1,82,200 – 2,24,100|
|HAG+Scale||Level 16||2,05,200 – 2,24,100|
|VCOAS/Army Cdr/ Lieutenant General (NFSG)||Level 17||2,25,000 (fixed)|
|COAS||Level 18||2,50,000 (fixed)|
CDS 2022 Result
Once the exam is over, UPSC will release merit list of selected candidates. In order to get selected for intelligence and personality test, candidates have to acquire minimum qualifying marks in the written exam and SSB test.
Clearing the test doesn’t secure your admission into Indian Military Academy, Indian Naval Academy, Air Force Academy. Further, you have to appear and clear the intelligence and personality test.
All about SSB Interview
Candidates are selected based upon their performance in the written test, personal interview and personality test. They need to qualify all stages of selection process. Further, the authority will conclude the document verification process. The authority prepares the final merit list on the basis of marks scored by them in written examination and SSB Interview.
- Upon qualifying the written test, candidates are to be called for intelligence test, psychological aptitude test, and interview.
- All the qualified candidates have to register for SSB interview at joinindianarmy.nic.in.
- SSB interview will run over five days and be conducted in two stages. The first stage will be Psychological Aptitude Test and the Stage 2 will be intelligence test.
- The first stage will be conducted on the first day of SSB interview process.
- Only after clearing the Stage I, candidates will be able to proceed to stage II.
- Candidates, who are willing to join Air Force and Naval Aviation, they need to appear for Pilot Aptitude test.
Stage I of SSB Interview
- The first stage will comprise of Officer’s Intelligence Rating and Picture Perception and Description Test.
- Candidates are to be tested based on their performance in two sections- Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning.
- The exam will be conducted over duration of approx one hour.
- Verbal Section needs to be completed in 30 minutes where candidates have to solve 50 questions.
- Further, candidates have to answer non-verbal reasoning section within 25 to 30 minute time.
- Thereafter, candidates will have to appear for picture perception and description test where candidates have to deal with hazy picture. Candidates will see the picture for 30 seconds based on which they have to complete depending majors.
Stage II of SSB Interview
Stage II will be conducted over a duration of 5 days and it involves following tasks:
- Details of Psychological Test: Candidates’ emotional and behavioral reactions would be counted towards Word Association Test, Thematic Appreciation Test, and Situation Reaction Test along with Self-Description.
- Group task: Candidates will be judged how they perform a group task.
- Personal Interview process: It will be organized on 3rd day of SSB Interview process.
- At the last Conference session would be executed where students have to appear in front of the concerned committee.