CDS 2020: Admit Card, Exam Date, Test Pattern
UPSC will be conducting CDS 2020 examination to select the eligible candidates for Indian army, navy, air force and officer’s training academies. The exam will be held twice a year on 2nd February 2020 and 8th November 2020. The application process for CDS I is now over and candidates will get the link to download their admit card shortly. The exam will be conducted in pen and paper mode and the qualifying candidates will be shortlisted for interview. Qualifying the interview will make the candidates eligible for selection in Indian Military Academy (IMA), Indian Naval Academy (INA), Air Force Academy (AFA) and Officer’s Training Academy (OTA).
News: CDS admit card will be released shortly at official website of UPSC.
CDS 2020 Major Highlights
- The candidates applying for the examination should ensure that they fulfill all the eligibility conditions to appear for the examination.
- All the applicants are required to provide valid & active e-mail id in application form as the Commission may contact the candidates through them.
- In case of any query regarding application, candidature etc. the candidates can contact UPSC’s Facilitation Counter.
- Except Indian national candidates, a certificate of eligibility is a must to hold by other candidates.
- All the documents such as application form, admit card, result, etc should be kept safe till the process of selection is over.
- All communications to the Commission should contain name & year of the exam, roll number (if received), registration id, candidate’s full name (block letters), postal address as in application & telephone number, if any.
- In case of multiple applications, the one with the higher RID (Registration ID) will be considered.
- Once applications are submitted, candidature cannot be withdrawn under any circumstances.
CDS 2020 Important Dates
The official dates for CDS I and II examinations are given below:
|For CDS I||For CDS II|
|Online application form release||30th October 2019||5th August 2020|
|Last date to submit the application||19th November 2019||25th August 2020|
|Issue of admit cards||January 2020, 3rd week||October 2020, last week|
|Date of exam||2nd February 2020||8th November 2020|
|Result announcement||May 2020||December 2020|
|Availability of interview call letter||August 2020, 4th week (for IMA)|
November 2020, 4th week (for OTA)
|To be announced|
|Final result declaration||To be announced||To be announced|
CDS Eligibility Criteria 2020
Below- mentioned eligibility criteria must be fulfilled by the candidates hoping to appear for CDS 2020 exam:
Age limit, sex, and marital status:
For CDS I:
CDS Exam Solved Paper- Last 11 years- Buy Now
- For IMA and INA: Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January 1997 and not later than 1st January 2002 are eligible.
- For AFA: Candidates born not earlier than 2nd January 1997 (1995 for those with Commercial Pilot License issued by DGCA) and not later than 1st January 2001 are eligible.
- For OTA (Men): unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January 1996 and not later than 1st January 2002 are eligible.
- For OTA (Women Non-Technical): Unmarried women, issueless widows and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried & born not earlier than 2nd January 1996 and not later than 1st January 2002.
For CDS II:
- For IMA and INA: Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd July 1997 and not later than 1st July 2002 are eligible.
- For AFA: Candidates born not earlier than 2nd July 1997 (1995 for those with Commercial Pilot License issued by DGCA) and not later than 1st July 2001 are eligible.
- For OTA (Men): Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd July 1996 and not later than 1st July 2002 are eligible.
- For OTA (Women Non-Technical): Unmarried women, issueless widows and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried & born not earlier than 2nd July 1996 and not later than 1st July 2002.
Note: Male divorcee/ widower candidates CANNOT be treated as unmarried male.
The candidate should be any of the following:
- A citizen of India
- A subject of Bhutan or Nepal
- Tibetan refugee who came to India before 1st January 1962 with the intention to settle here permanently
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated here from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling
- For IMA and OTA: Graduate degree of a recognized university or equivalent is required.
- For INA: Candidates with degree in engineering from a recognized university/ institution are eligible.
- For AFA: Those with degree of a recognized university with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level or Bachelor of Engineering can apply.
- Candidates appearing in the final year exam of their degree in the year 2020 are also eligible to apply.
Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Combined Defence Services examination as per guidelines of the Commission.
CDS Application Form 2020
- Interested candidates can apply online for CDS 2020 by visiting the official UPSC website upsconline.nic.in.
- In the application, the candidates will be asked to provide their personal details such as name, email id, gender, etc and education details related to your degree exam.
- Choice for IMA, INA, AFA and OTA should also be given in the application in the order of preference.
- Candidates can also opt for the examination centers of their choice in the application form.
- Photograph and signature of the candidates in scanned format will be uploaded.
- The application form complete in all respect can be submitted along with the prescribed fee.
- After successful submission of application form, a printout should be taken and kept safe for future reference.
- The application fee will be Rs. 200/ for CDS exam 2020. SC/ ST/ women candidates will be exempted from payment of application fee.
- Payment of fee can be done online using net banking/ debit card/ credit card or offline using pay-in-slip.
- The pay-in-slip can be generated online during registration and fee can be paid in cash at any branch of SBI.
CDS 2020 Exam Pattern
Check here the pattern for the CDS examination:
- Mode of exam: Offline
- Type of questions: Objective type
- Medium of test: Hindi & English both, except for English section
- Negative marking: 1/3rd marks will be deducted for each incorrect answer
For IMA, INA and AFA:
|Elementary Mathematics||100||2 hours|
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
|General Knowledge||100||2 hours|
CDS Syllabus 2020
The syllabus for the CDS 2020 exam is given as:
- English: Questions will be asked to test candidates’ understanding of English and workmanlike use of words
- General Knowledge: Knowledge Of Current Events, Scientific Aspects, History Of India, Geography, etc
- Elementary Mathematics: Elementary Number Theory, Algebra, Mensuration, Trigonometry, Statistics and Geometry
CDS Exam Solved Paper- Last 11 years- Buy Now
CDS Admit Card
- Admit card will be released around three weeks before the commencement of the examination.
- The candidates will be able to download their admit card from the official website of UPSC using their registration id, date of birth, roll number, father’s name, etc.
- Any problem in downloading the admit card or any discrepancy should be communicated to the commission one week before the exam.
- No candidate will ordinarily be allowed to take the examination unless he/she holds a valid admit card.
- Candidates should note that name in the admit card may be abbreviated in some cases due to technical reasons.
CDS Result & SSB Test 2020
- The result of CDS 2020 examination will be declared in online mode.
- The Commission will prepare a list of the candidates who obtain the minimum qualifying marks in the exam.
- Such candidates will have to register themselves on the website of recruiting directorate.
- Candidates who are declared successful in the written exam will be called for intelligence and personality test at SSB.
- In order to be considered for selection, the candidates will have to qualify in the written exam and SSB test separately.
- The applicants who are selected for Air Force and Naval Aviation will be given Pilot Aptitude Test.
- Failing this test even in the past will make the candidates ineligible for selection into Air Force. Those wearing spectacles regularly will also not be considered for Air Force.
CDS 2020 Selection Process
- The final result will be announced after the candidates clear both written and SSB test.
- Candidates who are shortlisted for selection will have to undergo medical fitness test.
- Documents and eligibility of the candidates will also be verified at the same time.
- Final selection will be done on the basis of merit of the candidates, the options exercised by them and number of vacancies available.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: Can I cancel the application form submitted and request for a refund?
Ans: Yes you can withdraw the application but you can’t get refund against the application fee paid.
Ques: Can I submit multiple applications?
Ans: You must not think about the same. You need to be careful enough while filling the application form. You can fill multiple applications under an unavoidable circumstances but you’ll have to pay for each application.
Ques: Can a appearing candidate apply for CDS exam?
Ans: Yes they can apply but they should not have any existing backlogs. Furthermore, they have to submit the required documents before the deadline intimated by UPSC.
Ques: Can I apply for CDS 2020 in offline mode?
Ans: No, it’s not possible. You are allowed to apply online according to the deadline intimated by the concerned authority.
Ques: What is the last date to apply for CDS 2020 (I)?
Ans: Candidates can apply for CDS 2020 upto 19th November, 2019 till 6:00 PM. Hurry-up as only few days are left. You may face technical issues on the last date. Please submit your application today.