Common Admission Test (CAT) will be conducted to shortlist the most eligible candidates for admission into management courses offered by different IIMs (Visakhapatnam, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Amritsar, Bodh Gaya, Bangalore, Calcutta, Jammu, Indore, Kashipur, Lucknow, Kozhikode, Nagpur, Ranchi, Raipur, Rohtak, Shillong, Sambalpur, Tiruchirappalli, Sirmaur). Institutes other than IIMs will also consider CAT score for admission to their management programmes. The application form for the test is going to be released on 3rd August 2022 in online mode. However, the candidates must ensure their eligibility before applying for the CAT 2022 exam. The candidates will be able to apply for different programmes through a single application form.
Latest: CAT 2023 application form will be released on 3rd August 2022.
CAT 2022 Important Highlights
- The registered email account and phone number must be maintained by the candidates throughout the selection process.
- Once the payment is made, applicants will not be allowed to make any changes in the application form.
- Irrespective of the number of institutes applied for, the application fee should be submitted only once.
- A printout of the duly submitted application form should be kept safe by the candidates for future reference.
- PWD candidates will be provided 20 minutes extra time for each section of the admission test.
- No requests for issuance of CAT scorecards will be entertained after the last date is over.
- Score of CAT can be used for admissions into the IIMs as well as the non-IIM member institutions.
- IIMs will have no role in the selection process of non-IIM institutions.
CAT 2022 Important Dates
The candidates can check the official dates related to CAT 2022 in the table below.
|Release of official notification||31st July 2022|
|Commencement of online registration||3rd August 2022|
|Online registration ends on||September 202|
|Availability of admit card||October 202|
|Date of admission test||November 202|
|Declaration of result||January 2023|
|Beginning of admission process||January 2023|
CAT 2022 Eligibility Criteria
IIMs may access your eligibility at different stages of the selection process. Don’t furnish any incorrect data or fake information in your registration form. At any stage, if you are found ineligible, then your candidature is liable to be cancelled by the concerned authority.
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% marks or its equivalent from a recognized university or institute is required.
- For candidates belonging to reserved categories (SC/ ST/ PWD candidates), the minimum marks to be obtained will be 45% (instead of 50%).
- Candidates who will be appearing for the final year of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent examination in the year 2020 are eligible too.
- Those who have completed the degree requirements and are awaiting results can also apply.
- Those who have completed their professional degree (CA/ CS/ ICWA) with at least 50% marks (45% for SC/ ST/ PWD candidates) are also considered to be eligible.
- As suggested, 15% of the seats are considered reserved for SC category, 27% for OBC (Non-creamy layer) and 7.5% are for SC category candidates.
- Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD) category candidates are eligible to avail reservation up to 5%.
- Be careful while filling your category in the registration form. The category, once filled, won’t be changed further under any circumstances.
- Candidates of SC/ST/NC-OBC/PwD categories need to upload the category certificate at the time of CAT registration.
CAT Application Form 2022
Interested candidates can fill their application form for CAT 2022 from 3rd August 2022. To obtain the application form, the candidates will have to visit the official CAT website iimcat.ac.in. No other mode of filling and submitting the application form will be provided to the candidates.
- The applicants will first have to register themselves by providing basic details such as name, date of birth, email address, mobile number, etc.
- An OTP will be sent for verification after which the process of registration will be over.
- After successful registration, user id and password will be sent to the candidates via email/ SMS for further login.
- Using these login details, the candidates can now proceed towards filling the application form.
- In the application form, rest personal details, academic details, work experience, program details and choice for test city will be asked.
- Scanned copies of important documents will also be uploaded into the application form.
- Once all the details are provided, the candidates will have to proceed towards payment of application fee.
- Process of application/ registration will be complete after the application fee is paid successfully.
Please follow the steps given below to register for CAT:
Step 1: Complete the online registration by providing a few basic information to receive your login credentials(registration id and password);
Step 2: Login at the official website of CAT 2022;
Step 3: Fill up your application form providing your personal and academic details. Also provide details of work experience, if any.
Step 4: Choose your Interview centre city preferences;
Step 5: Choose your Test city;
Step 6: Make a payment of suggested application fee;
- The application fee for General/ OBC candidates will be Rs. 1900/- and for SC/ ST/ PWD category candidates it will be Rs. 950/-.
- Payment of fee can be done online and once submitted the fee will not be refunded under any circumstances.
CAT 2022 Test Centres
CAT exam is likely to be held in around 147 test cities. We have mentioned in the test cities below and it is also available in your admit card. IIM reserves its right to change or cancel any test centre. Have a look at the tentative test cities for CAT. It may or may not be altered after the release of official notification form CAT 2022
|State/Union Territory||Test Cities|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Jammu
CAT 2022 Exam Pattern
The overview of CAT 2022 exam pattern is provided below:
- Number of sessions: 2
- Mode of exam: Online
- Exam duration: 3 hours
- Number of questions: 100
- Total marks: 300
- Type of questions: Objective type (MCQ) and Type In The Answer (non-MCQ) type
- Marking scheme: For each correct response, 3 marks will be awarded.
- Negative marking: For Objective type questions 1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer. There will be no negative marking for Type In The Answer (non-MCQ) type questions.
|Topics||No. of questions||Maximum marks||Duration|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)||34||102||60 minutes|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32||96||60 minutes|
|Quantitative Ability (QA)||34||102||60 minutes|
CAT 2022 Syllabus
Provided below is the syllabus for the CAT 2022:
- Quantitative Ability: Algebra, Geometry, Number System, Probability & Statistics, Sequence & Series, Mensuration, Profit & Loss, Simple & Compound Interest, Permutation & Combination, etc
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning: Venn Diagram, Data Sufficiency, Coding & Decoding, Seating Arrangement, Syllogism, Puzzles, Blood Relations, Logical Sequence, Binary Logic, Graphs, Charts, Tables, etc
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension: Reading Comprehension, Fill in the blanks, Cloze Test, Error Spotting, Word Usage, Sentence Completion, Jumbled Words, Sentence Correction, etc
CAT 2022 Admit Card
- The admit card for CAT 2022 will be released in online mode on the official website.
- Using their user id and password generated during registration, the candidates will be able to download their admit card.
- On the admit card, student’s details like name, gender, etc and exam details like test center address, test date and time will be mentioned.
- Admit card should be downloaded and its printout should be taken to be carried to the exam center.
- Candidates must note that no admit card will be sent through post or courier and will only be available online.
- Result of the admission test will be announced online and score card of the candidates will also be released on the official website.
- Candidates will be able to download their score card using their registration details.
- The CAT score card will be available on the website only and this will be the validity period of the score.
- On the basis of their CAT 2022 score, the candidates will be able to apply for admissions into IIMs and other reputed management colleges of the country.
CAT Selection Process
- After the declaration of the result, the selection process for different IIMs will begin.
- The eligibility and cut-off marks will vary from one IIM to another.
- Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interviews (PI) of the shortlisted candidates may be conducted.
- Academic performance, work experience, etc of the candidates might also be considered for final selection.
- Candidates who are finally selected by the institutes as per their rules will then be allowed to take admission.
CAT Eligibility Verification
Candidates shortlisted for interview by any IIM, they have to undergo through following processes:
Mark Sheets and Degree Certificate
Candidates need to show all marks sheets and submit attested copies at the time of interview. Further, if selected finally, they have to submit the original degree certificate and mark sheets of all semesters/years along with attested copies for verification.
Reservation category requirements
SC/ST/NC-OBC/PwD category candidates, if selected for interview, they have to produce original caste/class and/or disability certificate.
Final years students
You have to submit original certificate obtained from the Principal/Registrar/Director of the university/Institution saying you have scored 50% marks or its equivalent (45% for SC/ST/PwD) on the basis of latest available marks/grades. You also need to submit an attested copy of the original certificate at the time of interview.
CAT Frequently Asked Questions
Ques: What is the age limit for taking the CAT exam?
Ans: There is no age limit for taking the CAT exam.
Ques: Should I use my friend’s or coaching institute’s email while registering for CAT?
Ans: No, don’t do that, please. You need to provide your own and unique email address. All upcoming updates from the CAT authority will be communicated to you through this only.
Ques: Will I get a hard copy of my admit card or the same through email?
Ans: The authority will host admit card at its official website. You need to download and take a printout of the same.
Ques: I committed mistakes during registration and created user ID with password. What should I do now?
Ans: You can’t edit the registration data. In that case, you need to do a fresh registration with a new email ID.
Ques: I am not able to view my admit card. To whom do I need to contact?
Ans: You will be able to download your admit card from the official website of CAT by logging in to your account with your user id and password. If you are not able to view your admit card then contact the CAT helpdesk:
- Toll-free: 18002090830
- Email: [email protected]
Ques: I have completed 5-year dual degree course (BTech+MTech, BS+MS, BTech+MSc etc.). How do I enter for Bachelor degree?
Ans: According to the norms of university, you need to enter the aggregate of marks which are equivalent to Bachelor’s degree under Bachelor’s degree section and the equivalent marks for the Masters degree under the Master s degree section.
Ques: I received multiple passwords, which password do I need to choose?
Ans: You need to use the password you received in the latest SMS.
Ques: Which documents do I need to upload in the application form?
Ans: You need to upload the following documents in the application form:
- The relevant certificate for NC-OBC or SC or ST category.
- The relevant PwD certificate for PwD category candidates.
Ques: Under which categories, am I allowed to apply?
Ans: You can apply under the following categories:
- Scheduled Caste (SC)
- Scheduled Tribe (ST)
- Non-Creamy Other Backward Class (NC-OBC)
Ques: Is CAT an online exam?
Ans: No, it’s not an online exam. Instead, it’s a computer-based test.
Ques: Am I allowed to bring a calculator inside the test centre?
Ans: No, it is strictly prohibited to bring a physical calculator inside the examination hall. Instead, you can use an onscreen calculator.
Ques: Is there negative marking for questions other than MCQ?
Ans: No, there will be no negative marking for Non-MCQ questions.