CAT 2021 result will be announced today on 3rd January 2022. for admission in different PG and fellow management programmes offered by the IIMs located across the country. The admission process in IIMs might vary accordingly. The process may include – written ability test, group discussion and personal interviews. The application form for CAT will be released on 4th August 2021. Before heading to the application form, candidates should make sure that fulfill the eligibility conditions laid down by the authority.
The total duration of the exam will be 3 hours and it will be organized in the online mode where a computer system shall be allotted to the candidates for marking the answers to the questions displayed on their computer screen. CAT 2021 score will also be considered by other management schools/ institutions across the country for admission in different MBA programmes.
CAT 2021 application form is to be available from 4th August 2021.
CAT 2021- Highlights
- Candidates will be able to apply for the admission test only through the online mode. No printed applications will be made available by the authority.
- Candidates will have to pay the registration fee only once despite the number of institutions they intend to apply for.
- In case of instances such as incorrect details provided by the candidates or violation of admission process, the candidates will be disqualified and will not be allowed to appear for CAT exam in future.
- Any communication from the authority shall only be done through the email id and contact number provided by the candidates during registration.
- Applicants should note that the mere fulfillment of minimum eligibility criteria will not ensure consideration for shortlisting by IIMs.
- Each IIM will send interview letters to the shortlisted candidates directly. The criteria for shortlisting might vary across IIMs.
CAT 2021 Important dates
The official dates for CAT exam are as follows-
|Starting of registration||4th August 2021|
|Last date to register||15th September 2021|
|Download of admit card||27th October 2021|
|Test date||28th November 2021|
|Result announcement||3rd January 2022|
Eligibility criteria for CAT 2021
Candidates must fulfill the CAT eligibility criteria as stated below in order to appear for the exam-
- Educational qualification: The candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% for SC/ST and PWD candidates) in aggregate from a recognized university. Those appearing in the final year of their graduation or awaiting results can also apply for the exam.
- Note: Those who have done professional courses of CA/ CS/ ICWA by securing at least 50% aggregate marks are also eligible to apply for the common admission test.
CAT 2021 Application form
The application form for CAT exam can be filled only via online mode i.e. by visiting the official website of IIM CAT. Candidates need to register for the exam on time to avoid last-minute technical error. They must provide correct details in the application form. The application form will bear the following details- personal details like name, father’s name, gender, category, religion, educational details, work experience and other relevant information. If at any stage the information provided by the candidates is found to be incorrect then such candidates will be debarred from taking the exam.
Applicants will be asked to upload their latest passport-sized photograph and signature in scanned copy format. Candidates should review their application form before proceeding towards the payment of the application fee. No changes in the form shall be allowed past the application fee payment. Candidates should keep a printout copy of their application form for future use. They need not send the hardcopy of the same to the authority. Applications received without the concerned fee or incomplete applications will be rejected by the authority.
The application fee for SC/ ST and PWD category candidates is Rs. 950/- and for remaining candidates, the fee to be paid is Rs. 1900/-. Payment of the stated fee can be made using the debit card, net banking, credit card, paytm wallet, cash card and other wallets. Candidates need to pay the registration fee only once.
CAT Exam pattern
The exam pattern of CAT is given below-
- Exam mode: Computer-based test
- Duration: 3 hours
- Medium of instructions: English only
- Type of questions: MCQ and Non-MCQ type
- Total number of questions: 100 questions
- Marking scheme: 3 marks will be awarded for every correct answer
- Negative marking: For MCQs, 1 mark will be deducted for incorrect answer and no negative marking for Non-MCQ questions.
|Subject||Number of questions||Maximum marks||Duration|
|Verbal ability and reading comprehension||34||102||1 hour|
|Data interpretation and logical reasoning||32||96||1 hour|
|Quantitative ability||34||102||1 hour|
CAT 2021 Syllabus
Candidates need to prepare the following topics under the syllabus of CAT exam-
- Verbal ability and reading comprehension: Reading comprehension, English grammar and usage, fill in the blanks, sentence correction, cloze test, word-meaning, analogy, vocabulary based questions etc.
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning: Caselets, tables, pie chart, line graph, clocks, Venn diagrams, cubes, seating arrangement, logical sequence, blood relation, direction sense, binary logic, calendars etc.
- Quantitative ability: Time and work, percentage, average, simplification, LCM and HCF, profit, loss and discount, quadratic equation, simple and compound interest, sequence and series, inequalities, ration and proportions, set theory and function etc.
Here are some of the essential reference books that will help the candidates in scoring better marks in the exam-
- Data interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Verbal ability and reading comprehension for CAT by Meenakshi Upadhyaya
- Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Word power made easy by Norman Lewis
- The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT by Nishit Sinha
- Candidates can obtain the admit card of CAT 2021 from the official website.
- They need to keep the printout copy of the admit card safe for further use.
- It is compulsory for the applicants to carry the admit card to the exam hall along with a valid government id proof. Without these, the entry to the hall shall be denied to the candidates.
- No damage should be done to the admit card otherwise such admit card shall be considered invalid.
- The results will be announced ion 3rd January 2022.
- Candidates can check their scores from the web portal of the IIM CAT. The score will be valid only till December 2022.
- Those who clear the written exam shall be invited for the interview process and other subsequent processes as per the discretion of the IIMs.
The selection process might vary from IIMs to IIMs. IIMs may consider other factors like previous academic performance of the candidates, relevant work experience, gender and academic diversity etc in shortlisting and ranking of candidates at various stages of the admission process. The processes, academic cut-offs and the weights allocated to the evaluation parameters may vary across IIMs.